TV Cable Question

Super Duper Cou

I had my friend adjust the TV Cable on the 1993 Thunderbird Super Coupe to shift at 5000rpm through each gear under full throttle. When I first got the car back from him, i tested it out on the street and it shifted at 5000rpm through each gear but when I took it back to the race track it shifted at 4600rpm from 1st to 2nd and then 4200rpm from 2nd to drive and it affected my et and mph. :(

Did the TV Cable get stretched or something? Do I need a new TV Cable? Does it just need to be re-adjusted? I called up a Ford dealership and they said Ford doesn't sell TV Cables for my car anymore. :(

Better get that TV cable setup properly, and not use it to set your shift points.... or you'll be droing a tranny replacement in short order. AOD's are VERY fussy on TV pressure, and will gladly cook themselves if its not right.

Manually shift the tranny is going to be your best bet, and look at a vb upgrade for the car.

Fraser

I had my friend adjust the TV Cable on the 1993 Thunderbird Super Coupe to shift at 5000rpm through each gear under full throttle. When I first got the car back from him, i tested it out on the street and it shifted at 5000rpm through each gear but when I took it back to the race track it shifted at 4600rpm from 1st to 2nd and then 4200rpm from 2nd to drive and it affected my et and mph. :(

Did the TV Cable get stretched or something? Do I need a new TV Cable? Does it just need to be re-adjusted? I called up a Ford dealership and they said Ford doesn't sell TV Cables for my car anymore. :(

Cable isn't under enough tension to get stretched. Have you looked to make sure it's still attached to the throttle body linkage. If set too tight it can pull out of the throttle linkage at wide open throttle. Ford sells a kit to convert to a brass bushing and clip pin to retain the cable better than the push in nylon grommet that was supplied by the factory.

Driving the car with the cable off the throttle linkage can cause serious damage to the transmission very quickly. Did your freind use a pressure gauge to set the cable based on line pressure, or just tightened it up at the TB adjuster ?

David

Last edited:
I readjusted the tv cable like the Haynes Repair Manuel says too. It now shifts at 4700rpm from first to second and 4600rpm from second to drive. That's where it shifted at before my friend tried adjusting it. I think i'll just leave it at that, I think 5000rpm was too high anyways.

4700 is ok imo. i have a manual with an adjustable shift light set to 4600, by the time i shift and re-engage the clutch its usually around 4800. these engines can do slightly higher rpm then that. however by my preference i keep the rpm's a lil less to prevent anything from breaking internally.

if you look in the FAQ FORUM there is a post in there about rpm/hp. thers only 3 pages but alot of good stuff. diagrams, specs, trial and error lessons learned, part numbers, ext.

When my car was more or less stock, I would manually shift so that the shift completed by 5000 rpm's. I gained about .2 or so with my ET's doing that than letting the tranny shift on its own at the lower rpm's.

So I would shift to second when rpm's hit 4600 so the shift would actually happen at 5000, then I shifted at 4800 for the shift to third so it completed at 5000. The manual guys have it easier as they only need to pay attention to one shift point unlike us auto guys :D.

Fraser

Back