Brake light comes on while accelerating

brandywine11297

this is a weird one. after i take off from a stop (usually a few seconds) or after making a turn and then going uphill, my red warning brake light comes on, then after a few seconds goes back off. my brakes work fine, with the exception of needing new pads. the abs works great. the only problem, other than the light, is that my emergency cable broke. the cable has been broken for several months, but the light coming on and going off just started about two weeks ago. this is starting to get annoying. :(

if you take the console apart you'll find the parking brake lever has a little tiny switch that engages when it's all the way down... it's a ground wire that opens when you lift the handle up - sometimes it's loose or making poor contact - just take the interior screws out of the console and find the little plastic mechanism and play around with it... usually this little annoyance will also affect your running lamps... with this circuit broken your lights assume that you're parked... therefore not needing running lights...

p.s. parking brake cables are usually really easy to fix...
mechanic usually won't charge you more than half hour

Check your brake fluid level. If its even a little bit low it'll trigger the brake light on just as you are describing.

Fraser

p.s. parking brake cables are usually really easy to fix...
mechanic usually won't charge you more than half hour

i checked the price for it. just have find in class to do it.
between school, work, family and my wife being sick, i haven't got much time.
but i will check out the switch

fturner's remedy seems more like it... with acceleration your fluid level gets moved around and loses contact with the sensor... good call fturner...

My 92 started doing this just before the amber abs light came on. Not sure what the problem turned out to be. I bought a new acumulator ball, but that didn't fix it. Ended up just doing the conventional swap and did away with all the mess. Plus it makes it easier to change the plugs on that side. :p

Back