Why does this server suck so much?

Kev70

IS it just me or does it take an extremely long time for this server to be "not busy"? This thing is a POS...

Hey guess what

Ive been trying to reply to this message but guess what, the Server was busy! (Im not kidding) I agree with you completely. My understanding was that they switched from EZBoard was because EZBoard was supposedly too expensive. Now we have this junk that never works that is supposed to be cheaper but we never have enough money to run it. I wonder why they never passed the collection plate when we had the old system if it costs so much more than what we got now. Except for an occasional mailing, to me this board is pretty much the only other thing I get out of this club, and you dont even have to be a member to use it! As a matter of fact Im convinced the problems we have are due to those non-members who lurk for awhile (dont get me wrong, open forums definitely have their advantages). Ive gotten to where I mostly just come on here to check up on our Chapter Forum but most of the time I cant even do that. AS a matter of fact Ive petitioned to the Chapter to look into getting another forum.

i'm not one to complain, but the board was too busy when i checked it out a 8am this morning.

Justin

well the board is busy all the time does not matter what time it is i was on at 5am one time and it was busy

Busy?

Don't understand how between 25 to 35 users can cause it to happen. Totals are on the front page. What happened when the all time high of 90+ were on ?

It really seems like it's building up to a crash. Is this site backed up? Sucks when a wealth of model specific knowledge is lost. I've looked at the other boards, like TBSCEC, but they don't seem to have the traffic this one does--or has the potential for, if you could get on here. I like the way this place is set up, not too many forums that there's a lack of momentum like the others, and allows for a place to hang out (non-tech).
I wonder if there are other ways to help it run better? Cut out uploading pic's, and only link images with the

Jafo: They don't listen to any suggestions to cut back so this pitiful server we are on now might support us

Look at tccoa and ricecop.com, they both have more users then us, and probably pay wayyy less for their server. The reason? They aren't getting bent over for prices

Seems the "Server busy" message was put in place on purpose...

Rant on:

Two thumbs down. It took me 10 minutes of looking at "server busy" to actually reply. Wanna know what's funny? I was the ONLY one browsing at the time.....

Well, guess I should feel this way, after all, I have not "contributed" to the paypal fund. How dare I.

Well, there are alot of "traps" set up here, I'm sure that I'll "accidentially" click on a paypal button and unwittingly enter my credit card number in it for the amount of let's say, oh, $1500, just so they can afford a 'real' server, OH, but I forgot, Bill needs to compensate himself so I'm sure he'll take an 80% commission out of it before the donation to the business is made available for a server.

You know, the next time I see a 'server busy' message, I half expect to see a cartoon drawing of Bill holding a fat wad and giving the viewer the ole' bird at the same time.

You're right, I agree, the TBSCEC is great for tech info but it moves SLOWLY cause everyone there is working on their cars and not posting all the time, plus it has many many forums. There is the drive train forum, the suspension forum, the electrical forum, the intermittantly starting forum, the Head gasket story forum, the 'my car sux' forum.... etc.

Rant off.

Rant on! Rant off! Rant on, Rant off, THE RANTER. :)

I read this board quite often, but I just now signed up for a new id (since the board chance) to add to the thread.
I agree that the server is hurtin at times and it can be pretty annoying, but I'm not so sure I'd be so quick to complain. I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't have to pay a single cent to join...aka it was FREE. I also don't get slammed with tons of popups and annoying ads. So while I think it'd be great to get a more adaquete server, I'm certainly not gonna bash the current one.

What's TBU? Got a link? Don't know that one.

Why can you go to the SCCOA home page and check out every link up there without problem but on the forums here you get the server problems? Does this mean it's a software problem, not really the server? Some kind of partitioning-like problem? Seems like if they're both on the same server (maybe they're not) that the problem would be system wide. Is there some setting that might be off? I'm a server dunce though, just an uneducated observation.

So, where's TBU?

Last edited:
JAFO.. the sccoa main page is a web site separate from the forums. When you click forums, you're actually transferring to a different server running different software. Apache, Linux, and mySQL I believe it is.

You know what _I_ think... I think that it should filter requests by membership. Member queries should always get priority over non-member. In short, if you paid for access, you should get it first over someone who did not. That would give incentive to join and help with upgrades.. Of course, still no word from Bill.. I for one, am rather dissappointed.. and this Server busy signal really does suck.
:mad:

And yet

And yet you all keep coming back. Doesn't say much for you guys, does it, hanging out at a sucky place like this with all us losers who don't know we are being taken advatage of. If I were you I'd start my own site because theres nothing to it. Let me know how you make out.
Ed

Haha, we have, they are called the tbscec and tbu

Haven't you noticed all the smart people who used to be here are gone now?

Smart people

Yeah, they're all gone, just leaves people like you and me, I'm starting to see what you mean.
Ed

Back