Locking dipstick for AOD ?

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:

1. To prevent transmission leaks, all cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker must have an NHRA-accepted locking-type dipstick in the transmission.

2. To improve the strength-mounting point of parachutes on all vehicles running more than 150 mph, parachutes must have their own independent mounting sleeved half-inch-minimum steel bolts or pins. Material around the holes for the bolts/pins must be equal to or greater than the bolt/pin size.

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:

1. To prevent transmission leaks, all cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker must have an NHRA-accepted locking-type dipstick in the transmission.

2. To improve the strength-mounting point of parachutes on all vehicles running more than 150 mph, parachutes must have their own independent mounting sleeved half-inch-minimum steel bolts or pins. Material around the holes for the bolts/pins must be equal to or greater than the bolt/pin size.

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

I was just getting ready to post that. Sadly, looks like some of us will be needing fire pants to go with our fire jackets.

Ryan,

I think the ET limit is something like 11.49 or quicker. But it also applies to any ET using nitrous, aftermarket supercharger or aftermarket turbo.

David
Most smaller tracks will probably not even enforce the fire jacket/pants if you are slower than 11.50. Heck, Gateway only seemed to enforce it the first year the NHRA added "any ET using nitrous, aftermarket supercharger or aftermarket turbo".

I think this is the dumbest rule yet, I'd sooner see extended tubes on the vent, that makes more sense. The dipstick thing is just plain stupid. The aftermarket dipsticks are a royal pain to check, like to leak and are never easy to use.
Alan

Ended up ordering the Performance Automatic one in the Summit link (#PA53405), I'll let you know how it works when I get around to installing it.

David

Sorry David I'm calling your bluff

91 SC AOD 1.7 AR.........10.680 @ 129.80
93 SC AOD 347 Turbo....10.763 @ 133.18

Looks like both of your cars require it. ;)

Sorry David I'm calling your bluff

91 SC AOD 1.7 AR.........10.680 @ 129.80
93 SC AOD 347 Turbo....10.763 @ 133.18

Looks like both of your cars require it. ;)

The 91 isn't going to be running 10s without the nitrous, and the 93 is considerably quicker than these numbers indicate, and would require a ton of stuff to be legal for the ET/MPH I think it will run.

I'm only doing what I need to be NHRA legal for 11.50, so for this year all I need is Fire Pants (required for all cars with aftermarket supercharger, turbo or nitrous).

David

Back