390 in sc

Also do a search. There are a few threads on this subject. I think the big issue is that you'll need custom made motor mounts. (talk to Rich)

FYI Big Blocks look like they fit real well in a MN12 engine bay.

390 is a BIIIGGG block!!!

Its bigger than a 429/460 also weighs alot more! I wouldn't do it. I would go the 429/460 route myself. Just my .02.
MikeH

Its bigger than a 429/460 also weighs alot more! I wouldn't do it. I would go the 429/460 route myself. Just my .02.
MikeH

Not to suggest that the 390 is a good engine choice for a swap, but your info is just plain wrong. The FE series motors is smaller both dimensionally and weight wise than the 460. Popular sources put the FE motor at about 625-650lbs with iron heads and intake whereas the 460 series motors I've seen listed as 660-720lbs in full iron dress.

Originally the 351C was designed as a replacement for the FE block which started life as a 292/352 and later grew to 390/427. At 427ci the FE was about maxed out in size although people did later combine the biggest bore blocks and long stroke cranks to come out with as much as 468ci on that basic block. As we all know the 460 with it's bigger bore and taller deck is capable of well over 500ci without much effort. The 460 is a much bigger engine.

The FE motor would not make a good swap simply because it doesn't make good power without a lot of expensive parts. A 390 will never make the kind of power that even a 3.8L is capable of which just makes it a waste of time over-all.

Not to suggest that the 390 is a good engine choice for a swap, but your info is just plain wrong. The FE series motors is smaller both dimensionally and weight wise than the 460. Popular sources put the FE motor at about 625-650lbs with iron heads and intake whereas the 460 series motors I've seen listed as 660-720lbs in full iron dress.

Originally the 351C was designed as a replacement for the FE block which started life as a 292/352 and later grew to 390/427. At 427ci the FE was about maxed out in size although people did later combine the biggest bore blocks and long stroke cranks to come out with as much as 468ci on that basic block. As we all know the 460 with it's bigger bore and taller deck is capable of well over 500ci without much effort. The 460 is a much bigger engine.

The FE motor would not make a good swap simply because it doesn't make good power without a lot of expensive parts. A 390 will never make the kind of power that even a 3.8L is capable of which just makes it a waste of time over-all.

Dave, you're right on most points but the smallest FE was a 332, not the 292. The 272/292/312 were the Y-block and are completely different than the FE. Biggest Y-block I've heard of after .125 overbore (yeah, they're built like tanks) is about 340 inches.

The FE is a huge pain in the butt to work on. The pushrods run through holes in the intake manifold so just to swap the intake you have to R&R the pushrods. The valve covers seal to both the heads and the intake and leak too much oil. I have a fresh 390 in my 62 T-Bird and it's an absolute slug. Just about anything would be a better performance choice in an SC.

They can look good, though. Here's the one in my 62.
DSC_0323.jpg

how much easier and beneficial would it be for a 351w

351W would be a much better swap. They can be moved out to well over 400ci if you want, and they will bolt up since they share bellhousings with the 5.0 (and 3.8L). It is tall so you'll probably end up with a cowl hood or something, but they are dimensionally similar to the 5.0 so motor mounts and oil pan are even available to fit. A couple guys here have done it already.

Ya, I got mixed up on the motors, but the FE platform is really an old school mid-sized motor and not a true big block. The Mustang was enlarged in 1971 specifically to fit the 429 whereas the 427 had been available in the Mustang starting in what 67 (?)

Sharp looking 390! Didn't realize they had serpentines for those.

Sharp looking 390! Didn't realize they had serpentines for those.

Thanks, Dave. The accessory drive kit is from a company called Concept One. They're a much, much cheaper alternative to similar kits from Billet Specialties, Vintage Air, etc. I like the kit a lot. The rest of the goodies are a Weiand intake, Holley air cleaner and chromed steel Hamburger's valve covers. It now has an MSD billet distributor, too.

With that said, if you really like the engine, it's for sale. For $10k I'll throw the 62 T-Bird hardtop that the engine lives in for free.

how much easier and beneficial would it be for a 351w

i know a guy in south il that has a 89 mustang with a 351 and strapped a Paxton sc to it. he only brought it to gateway once and ran 8.91 in a 1/4 mile. he's a 23 year prison guard at the centralia prison and drives it to work every day. this guy is nuts to say the least imo.

Go with the 351W, you can stroke it to 393cid. Like mentioned before you need the MN12 5.0 motor mounts. The block is a little taller so you will need a cowl hood. For headers you can go with some SN95 351W engine swap headers, they hug the block but you may still need to do the steering shaft mod. The AOD & 5speed bolt right up to it also.

For them old timey Ford motors, here's a very handy reference ...

http://www.fordclassics.com/enginespecs.html

I've had a few Y-blocks back in the day. And a few 390s - including a '67 390 4-speed fastback GT Mustang. The 390 could pull out tree stumps. But I think my SC is faster than the Mustang was. The Mustang topped out at around 117. The SC - that's when the upshift light comes on in 4th gear.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Last edited:
The 390 in a 67GTA may have only made 335hp in a mustang, it did make an @$$ load of torque. 427tq at only 3200rpm. If you want all out power for little money, then by all meanss, do the 351w or even a 429/460, but if you want to be different or have the 390 already, then go that way. Its your car. Do what makes you happy.

i've been following a thread on tccoa that pertains to this, theres a guy on tccoa who is doing a turbo 408 stoker windsor with a turbo behind a 5spd :eek:

comparing the two of us we have alot in common, we're both the same age, we both live in the same city, we both have tbirds lol (obviously) and the most stunning fact is that we both go by the same username. :confused:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=121366

i know a guy in south il that has a 89 mustang with a 351 and strapped a Paxton sc to it. he only brought it to gateway once and ran 8.91 in a 1/4 mile. he's a 23 year prison guard at the centralia prison and drives it to work every day. this guy is nuts to say the least imo.

I'm from Illinois, and used to hang around Centralia in my SC. Where you from exactly?

(Sorry to get off subject.)

FE engines

The main disadvantage to the FE engines is the bell housing bolt pattern . The only transmissions that bolt up are the old CruiseOmatic & the FE pattern C6, unless you go to a manual trans .

Back