Smoking brakes.. get parking break off?

MrSnow

So I went to the car wash and they yanked up on my e brake and its suck engaged... I got it to a parking lot but the brakes where smokin... How do I disengage it easily?
I need some help ASAP if anyone can give it!
-Da Snow...

Can you stick some thing into the end where the button is.....

Lift the handle a little bit while you are doing this....

As a last resort, you can cut the cable going to the calipers.....

Do not cut the main cable coming from the handle.....

You can replace the rear cable with one from any other MN-12....

How is that park brake adjusted? Can't even get mine to engage! Won't pass NC inspection till I get that working.

Look under the rear of the SC near the differential....

You will see the cable going across to each of the rear calipers....

There is a part there where all three cables come together....

The adjuster is at that junction.....

Spray it with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while, then tighten it up....

I'm not too far away if you need any help.....

Spray it with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while, then tighten it up....

This is your best bet, but if this doesn't help, the arm that the parking brake cable connects to the caliper might be gummed up and frozen. You may have to manually move them and possibly replace the caliper.

Thanks for the sage everyone. I unhooked the latch in the back to loosen em up... They were pretty bad. I should do a whole breaks/shocks redo soon.... :D

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it some day. For now I've pretty much put off any non-critical projects on hold till it warms up again (no garage to work in:(). I'll just be driving my Super Duty thru the winter.

Good tip too... didn't even look at the calipers. Everything is so corroded/rusted under there! Do you know where I can find a good adjuster if I should need one? Was wondering if a Mustang cable adjuster could be retrofitted?

Back