K&N drop in filter

ORION

Does anyone use a K&N drop in filter?
I put one in my stock air box and man.....what a tight squeeze.
The box top does not fit exactly back in. The tabs stick out just slightly.
When I compared the size to the Fram filter I was using, it is a little longer.
I was guessing that it just creates a better seal.
Does that seem right?
It does seem to get better air flow but I am not 100% sure.
Does anyone have any experiences/thoughts on these filters?
I did get it used, although barely out of a 92SC. My first thought was that it was not the right filter for a 90SC. But the K&N webite gives the same part # for 90's and 92's. It was a bit of a long shot guess, but I thought given the TB size difference between the 2 models, who knows....
Thanks
Lucas

The throttle body is the same size for all years. Its the MAF that was increased.

The panel filter is a tight squeeze but so long as you take your time with it and ensure its seated right your fine. Until you get to higher air demands than what your motor is capable of right now there really isn't any benefit to running the K&N, other than the money it saves you at tune up time :) since you don't have to change the filter.

Fraser

Did you clean and oil the filter before use? There is a K&N filter charger kit that has the cleaning solution and the oil.

The throttle body is the same size for all years. Its the MAF that was increased.

Sorry, that's what I meant:eek:
Yeah, I didn't figure it was much benefit but because I have not done a complete tune yet, it does seem to help a little. For example, if I leave the car for a few days then fire it up it runs for a few seconds then wants to stall or actually does unless I give her a little gas for a few seconds. With the K&N she starts up and does not even hesitate.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, through.:)

Did you clean and oil the filter before use? There is a K&N filter charger kit that has the cleaning solution and the oil.

Yeah I did clean it with the K&N kit. It was clean when I got it, but I figured it would not hurt to do it again before putting it in. I made sure that it dried completely before putting the oil on.

After oiling the filter wait a week then clean the MAF sensor since it'll get covered with oil.

Fraser

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip.
I had heard that the oil can gunk up the sensor.
Actually I took the K&N filter out for a couple of weeks after 1 day. I just put it back in today. I left it wrapped inpaper towel to keep it clean. I had heard that if you let the oil absorb, there is not as much of an issue.
The car is not my daily driver but I will clean out the sensor next weekend.

Back