PDA

View Full Version : could use an opinion or two

TwoToneThunder
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
this is my rant about my dodge dakota but id like your opinions

Heres my situation, i replaced my clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing with a kit from advance auto parts in march of 2008

ive put around 15k miles on the setup without any issues until now

i drove my truck from detroit down to orlando florida yesterday and during the drive i could hear something getting louder and louder as i was driving

im 99% sure the throw out bearing is toast after 15k? the original lasted 100! and was still good when i did the clutch

i did all the work myself, i have a tech school degree and ive worked at ford dealers and a freightliner dealer so i know what im doing

the clutch i bought came with a lifetime guarentee

is there anything i can do or a way i can approach this when i go into the store tomarrow to complain?

im 1200 miles away from home and one of their lifetime guarenteed parts has failed but i can remove the trans here in a parking lot without any mechanics tools and its going to cost me a fortune to take it somewhere to fix something that should already have been fixed id like for them to take care of it

anyone have any imput on the situation?

92sclikenew
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
jim try to talk to a district manager tell them that and you want them to pay for the repairs since this inst your fault.. tho are you certified they could fight over that.. tho you still might not get anything but its worth a try...

is that rattle i heard that you couldnt figure out?

also remember new or old part can fail it dont matter!

this is my rant about my dodge dakota but id like your opinions

Heres my situation, i replaced my clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing with a kit from advance auto parts in march of 2008

ive put around 15k miles on the setup without any issues until now

i drove my truck from detroit down to orlando florida yesterday and during the drive i could hear something getting louder and louder as i was driving

im 99% sure the throw out bearing is toast after 15k? the original lasted 100! and was still good when i did the clutch

i did all the work myself, i have a tech school degree and ive worked at ford dealers and a freightliner dealer so i know what im doing

the clutch i bought came with a lifetime guarentee

is there anything i can do or a way i can approach this when i go into the store tomarrow to complain?

im 1200 miles away from home and one of their lifetime guarenteed parts has failed but i can remove the trans here in a parking lot without any mechanics tools and its going to cost me a fortune to take it somewhere to fix something that should already have been fixed id like for them to take care of it

anyone have any imput on the situation?

Tim Groth
11-02-2009, 09:16 PM
They'll replace the part for you but besides that you're probably SOL on the cost of repairs etc.

Maybe a local memeber could be of assistance to help you out in your time of need...besides that I doubt much else will be of option.

-Tim

Hock
11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, since I work there I can tell you that it probably won't be covered by the warranty. You did put 15k miles on it and personal driving habits can cause early failure of parts.

Now what I think is that 15k is extremely early for those to fail and they should replace it. If you came to my store and dealt with me I would try to talk the manager into replacing it under that warranty. It really all depends on the manager that you end up dealing with and how bad their day is going. Talking to a district manager (I feel) will more than likely make things worse because they should be sticking to the rules when it comes down to the warranty. As far as getting them to pay for the labor down there, good luck. That will more than likely have to be done at your local store and labor claims take time since they have to go through corporate. Speaking of the local store it would make it much easier for them to get the info they need to process a warranty claim if you have the phone number for the store you got the kit from.

If it were me in the situation I would try to find a member that is down there and see if they would be willing to help you out changing it.

TwoToneThunder
11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
very true, i talked to them today and im ~~~~ out of luck they wont even warrenty my lifetime warrenty part?

it has actully under 15k since i did the clutch job and thats including the 1200 i drove on the highway to get down here

8k out of the 14,283 miles since i did the clutch are all highway

they mentioned driving habits, its a 3.9l dodge dakota not a mustang cobra

the whole situation sucks because i spent 500 on the parts and did it myself in sub freezing weather and now its going to cost me $1200 to have it done at a local shop or if i get it back home another 500 and i get to do it myself all over again

needless to say i wont be getting my parts from advance auto, or auto zone ever again

quick35th
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Jim,

Now I don't want ruffle your feathers here when I say this but I do remember the stories you told me at the shootout about your driving habbits in dakota and I think mustang cobra is not far off :D

Anyways my offer still stands, Sean and I can bring you a Napa clutch kit at half off price and drive down to Florida to help you. We could be down there middle to end of next week at the soonest. All that Sean asks for is gas to and from and me whatever money I would be missing for taking off work. We don't need to be payed labor as we would be helping our friend out.

Hey then maybe we could use my family's beach house while we are down there.

Shane

92sclikenew
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Jim,

Now I don't want ruffle your feathers here when I say this but I do remember the stories you told me at the shootout about your driving habbits in dakota and I think mustang cobra is not far off :D

he's local i agree about this! :p:p:pi know your secrets!

jim how can they not cover something that is LIFE TIME?? unless its limited? other wise that's false advertising.

also if you decide you gonna bring it back im willing to help you out when im free!

Hock
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
They are limited lifetime warranty which only covers manufactors defects. Still 15K is early for that to fail unless you always hold the clutch in at red lights and when your stopped which will cause any throwout bearing to fail before it should.

92sclikenew
11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
They are limited lifetime warranty which only covers manufactors defects. Still 15K is early for that to fail unless you always hold the clutch in at red lights and when your stopped which will cause any throwout bearing to fail before it should.

dont see why you wouldn't:rolleyes:

Hock
11-03-2009, 04:38 PM
dont see why you wouldn't:rolleyes:

I always put the car in neutral and let out the clutch when I'm at extended red lights and stuck at a stop sign waiting on traffic. That takes the pressure off the throwout bearing hence making it last longer. No reason to sit for more than 10 or so seconds with the clutch in unless you are trying to find a hole in traffic to jump into, other than that its just plain stupid to sit there with the clutch pedal to the floor.

92sclikenew
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I always put the car in neutral and let out the clutch when I'm at extended red lights and stuck at a stop sign waiting on traffic. That takes the pressure off the throwout bearing hence making it last longer. No reason to sit for more than 10 or so seconds with the clutch in unless you are trying to find a hole in traffic to jump into, other than that its just plain stupid to sit there with the clutch pedal to the floor.

i don't own a manual or anything just never really thought of it seems like it would make more sense to be really to go if needed to:rolleyes:

Hock
11-03-2009, 04:49 PM
i don't own a manual or anything just never really thought of it seems like it would make more sense to be really to go if needed to:rolleyes:

It makes sense sometimes to sit there and hold the clutch but when I know I'm not moving anytime soon I just let it sit in neutral. Also, holding the clutch in for an extended time can put more pressure on the thrust bearing because your pushing the crank forward as well. I would see that as more of a bigger issue with heavy clutches than I would with a stock clutch.

INDANGERED_BIRD
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Jim
if you are still in Orlando you are welcome to come over and use one of my lifts and tools i would be happy to help plus i can get a discount on parts give me a shout if interested

Chris

Pacman
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Autozone clutches are junk! junk! junk! find a local CLUTCH shop i bought a King cobra clutch kit for my 5.0 for $119 included clutch throwout bearing pressure plate pilot bearing and alighnment tool. They also ground my flywheel for FREE while they gathered up my stuff. So far 40k very hard miles lts of drag strip passes on DR's and very rough agresive driving with no problems whatsoever. A clutch shop will sell you a better product at 1/2 the price.

TwoToneThunder
11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Jim
if you are still in Orlando you are welcome to come over and use one of my lifts and tools i would be happy to help plus i can get a discount on parts give me a shout if interested

Chris

thank you for the offer! i will be here till around febuary 1st the trucks still driveable with the clutch pedal released in neutral sitting at a light theres a loud knocking sound, as soon as the pedal is depressed the sound goes away im not 100% its the throwout but from those symptoms thats what im leaning towards.

i did however get advance auto to give me a new clutch kit for free to have swapped out somewhere, but like the pacman said i think i might buy parts from a different shop and pay to have them swapped out

whats the name of the shop your at? if anything id rather help out a fellow sc owner then a random person

INDANGERED_BIRD
11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
i work for the ford dealer in Orlando sun state ford on w. colonial Dr
like i said you are welcome to use a lift and tools you can see if one of the tec would like to do it for you
and there is a show at the wing house this sat the 7th i think flip is going and myself

let me know