BHJ, does this look right??

Thomas95SC

Does this look right? I pressed it till I couldn't turn the wrench anymore. I then stuck a screwdriver in the flywheel and torqued the bolt to 130lbs. It torqued down without going any further. So I guess its on all they way, right?

Attachments

• bhj.jpg
    bhj.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 153
It's only a problem the next time it has to be removed. I wouldn't worry about it now.

David

Actually, it isn't about pulling the balancer off. It's not going to seize onto the crank, but what happens is if there isn't sufficient lubrication during installation it can gall, resulting in damage to the balancer and crank both, and in some cases a less than totally centered balancer when you are done. It doesn't make sense to pay extra for an SFI balancer and then not properly lubricate the parts on assembly possibly damaging it or having it go on off-centered.

I'm not sure on the SFI on a 94 how close the pointer should be to the balancer. On a standard balancer I would expect it have pulled up closer.

Actually, it isn't about pulling the balancer off. It's not going to seize onto the crank, but what happens is if there isn't sufficient lubrication during installation it can gall, resulting in damage to the balancer and crank both, and in some cases a less than totally centered balancer when you are done. It doesn't make sense to pay extra for an SFI balancer and then not properly lubricate the parts on assembly possibly damaging it or having it go on off-centered.

I'm not sure on the SFI on a 94 how close the pointer should be to the balancer. On a standard balancer I would expect it have pulled up closer.

So your saying that I possibly ruined the balancer and crank? And, no I didn't pay extra for the SFI, I actually ordered a regular one but received the sfi instead. Do I need to remove it and check for damage? Assuming the bolt is reusable.

No, I didn't say you ruined the crank. I'm just saying that anti-seize is used as a lubricant for installation and I've seen plenty of galled cranks in my day. If it did anything, it has already done it so there is no point in taking it off and trying again.

As I said, I'm not sure how far the SFI balancer goes up onto the crank so I can't confirm that it is on right or not, you'll have to ask someone else on that one. The reluctor ring looks like it's lined up right.

No, I didn't say you ruined the crank. I'm just saying that anti-seize is used as a lubricant for installation and I've seen plenty of galled cranks in my day. If it did anything, it has already done it so there is no point in taking it off and trying again.

As I said, I'm not sure how far the SFI balancer goes up onto the crank so I can't confirm that it is on right or not, you'll have to ask someone else on that one. The reluctor ring looks like it's lined up right.

Well now i'm concerned about it being off balance. I saw in one of the guides on BHJ installation that they just used black rtv all around the inside of the balancer. I used copper rtv instead. I think it was the mn12performance one. My old balancer had rtv all the way around as well, guess thats why I forgot to use anti seize:eek::mad:. I still have the motor apart so it wont be nothin to take it back off again. I'm not worried about removing it in the future cause the motor has been rebuilt recently, but if theres a chance that it will be no good then I dont want it in there. What do you guys think?

I didn't mean to scare you, but if you are worried it's no big deal to take it off and check it.

Back