Early cast Super Coupe crank?

Newtune

I've heard that early '89 cranks were cast, not forged. Does anyone know the production dates of these cast cranks?

i've been told that super coupes with the cast cranks all failed within the warranty period and were replaced by the factory. so unless one was totaled before breaking i think they've all been replaced.

and i think they were only produced for less than half of the 89 production year.

I've heard the same thing.....:p

So far, every crank that I have pulled from SC engines have been forged....

However, I have an 89 5-speed that I might be parting out....:rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken, it has a build date of 2-89.....

I also have the engine out of Black Betty right now and it is up on the stand.....

It's an 89 with a build date of 4-89.....

I've heard the same thing.....:p

So far, every crank that I have pulled from SC engines have been forged....

However, I have an 89 5-speed that I might be parting out....:rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken, it has a build date of 2-89.....

I also have the engine out of Black Betty right now and it is up on the stand.....

It's an 89 with a build date of 4-89.....

By my understanding those would actually be mid-build year. Now if you had a 6-88 that would be another story, or like my 93 is has a 10-92 date.

Not really a mid-year build when you consider that SC production did not start until Jan. 89 and production was VERY limited at first.

The AWD SC is the "oldest" built SC I know of....a pre-production car constructed in Oct. 88. THAT car has a very good chance of having a Duracast crank.

I did a thorough search before posting and couldn't find anything definitive. I have the opportunity to pick up an early '89 SC. I'm only interested in the crank and block and would have to part out the rest of the car. It would not be worth the time and effort, for me, if it is not a forged crank. This is why I asked. I didn't mean to offend anyone in the process.

Where are you located.....

What's the color and condition of the interior and exterior.....

Got any pictures.....

A few years back I was looking for some SC parts at my local junk yard and found a 89 with a duracast crank. The long block had been removed and turnd up side down with the oil pan missing. Had the SC marks on the heads and block. The 5 speed flywheel had a big notch in it. The flywheel was like a counter balance for the rotateing assembly. This flywheel should never be used on forged crank as they use a zero balanced one. {All flat on the back side}There was also something about the harmonic balancer not being zero balanced also? Checked all the rods for play and didnt find any loose ones so this one died of other causes. I think there are still some out there running around.

I did a thorough search before posting and couldn't find anything definitive. I have the opportunity to pick up an early '89 SC. I'm only interested in the crank and block and would have to part out the rest of the car. It would not be worth the time and effort, for me, if it is not a forged crank. This is why I asked. I didn't mean to offend anyone in the process.

If the car lasted this long, no matter what crank it has it will be good.

If it is a duracast crank I'm sure there are a few members here that would pay to have one as a trophy.

Where are you located.....

What's the color and condition of the interior and exterior.....

Got any pictures.....

Daytona Beach

Grey cloth interior-very nice / White exterior-fair, little rust. Cervini ram air hood-very nice.

No pics yet.

Back