Hub change replacement Rear?

ricardoa1

Is there a way of pressing out the rear hub without thrashing on the bearing asym? Half azzing this part of the project to save me 80 bux in bearings.

I know there is a lock spring in the rear of the bearing and the spindle holds the front part. Has anyone done it?

I wish I had encouraging news on how to do this but it was a huge ~~~~. I ended up using an old bearing with something on top as a press tool. :eek:

The main issue is that when you pess out the hub, there is no way to support the inner race(s) because the hub flange is covering that area. Therefore, you'll have to press directly on the hub, and it usually takes the inner race with it, and if not, it puts high amounts of axial loading which usually ruins the bearing anyway.

To be honest, I don't remember exactly how the rear hubs are assembled (it's been awhile). I suppose if you pressed on the outer diameter of the bearing, and then use a bearing cup to get in between the bearing and hub, properly supporting the inner race and pressing out the hub, you could do it without damage. Most people don't have access to a press or the correct tools, so this isn't an option for most. Luckly, I have both and I could give it a try, but I would highly recommend replacing the bearings when you do the hubs, as they may get messed up, and they prob. have 150k on them anyways....

::EDIT:: I just found a picture of the assembly. I can't see a way to press them apart without wrecking them.....autozone near my apartment has them in stock for $32 each, or I can pick them up in NH and save on taxes.

Last edited:
I just found a picture of the assembly. I can't see a way to press them apart without wrecking them.....autozone near my apartment has them in stock for $32 each, or I can pick them up in NH and save on taxes.

Ricardo, I might have a set of brand new bearings in the boxes that I never had to use, I'll sell them cheap.........;)

Ricardo, I might have a set of brand new bearings in the boxes that I never had to use, I'll sell them cheap.........;)

I could use a set if Jay does not think they could be salvaged. Trying to save some money on the swap. Whats cheap? ;) PM me.

I procured a spare set of rear spindles to do my swap on.....When I pressed old hubs off the bearinsg stayed..I reused them as I just couldnt get the bearings off..

Still good to this day But I didnt push my luck

Now if you heat the hub that will most definitely help..

Seem syou may have gotten new bearings however you can still try..I hav emy bearinsg sitting on the shelf in case I ever need them

I procured a spare set of rear spindles to do my swap on.....When I pressed old hubs off the bearinsg stayed..I reused them as I just couldnt get the bearings off..

I have my bearinsg sitting on the shelf in case I ever need them

Same with me, I bought them and my friend pressed off the old hubs and pressed in the new hubs without damage to the bearings. The new ones have been on the shelf since.....until Ricardo bought them.

Back