Best way to hold on power steering pulley??

shotbirdsc

Hey guys,

I have a small problem keeping my power steering pulley on the car, I had it at the track a couple of months ago and it flew off. Over the past weekend I finally got around to installing it again and went for a ride and bam same thing. Anyone have some good ideas? (ps its the orginal steel pulley)

Thanks
Eric

new pump? the only way I could see it flying off is if the pulley spun on the shaft thus making the shaft a slightly smaller diamater not allowing the pulley to grip.

No same old pump but it was a ~~~~ to take off orginally for some upgrades and I guess that it doesn't want to go on as tight anymore.

hmm not sure what to do then I bet either the pulley or the input shaft on pump has changed by mechanical means. is the shaft scored at all?

If you installed it on the shaft far enough and are having these problems, I'd buy a new pump and a different pulley. Are there any signs in the pulley or on the shaft of the pulley spinning? How have you been installing it? How tight does it go on? Usually the pulley starts screaming when you get close the right position.

you either need a new pump or a new pulley. My bet would be on the pulley, but either way one of them is not the correct diameter any longer for an interference fit.

Back