PDA

View Full Version : Bolts For Fast Freddie Raised Top

Macros
11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I purchased a used Fast Freddie raised top, but did not receive the bolts with it. Does anyone know the right size and length bolts to use with these raised tops?

BTW, it looks awesome with the new powder coating!!!

95_XR7
11-06-2009, 03:58 PM
They are M8 x 1.25 x 25mm bolts. To be honest though, if I remember correctly with my raised top I ended up tapping the holes, and going to a 30mm bolt because I had them laying around. Be careful when torquing either the 25 or 30 bolts down though, with my DBL intercooler and raised top, it wanted to strip the threads. So make sure you work in a circle pattern and slowly tighten each one down.

T-bird4vr
11-06-2009, 11:32 PM
They are M8 x 1.25 x 25mm bolts. To be honest though, if I remember correctly with my raised top I ended up tapping the holes, and going to a 30mm bolt because I had them laying around. Be careful when torquing either the 25 or 30 bolts down though, with my DBL intercooler and raised top, it wanted to strip the threads. So make sure you work in a circle pattern and slowly tighten each one down.

yeah don't tighten much. the rtv will stick and seal it.

95_XR7
11-07-2009, 06:45 AM
yeah don't tighten much. the rtv will stick and seal it.

Good point. And make sure you use the copper stuff. The only downside to that stuff, is if you repeatedly take off the raised top, it gets to be a ~~~~ because it holds so well.

Some degreaser, and a wide razor blade will take all of it off.

T-bird4vr
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I think I just use some black. It looks a little better squeezed out than red lol!

Someone needs to make teflon top gaskets. I hate using RTV.

DLF
11-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I think I just use some black. It looks a little better squeezed out than red lol!

Someone needs to make teflon top gaskets. I hate using RTV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THUNDERBIRD-EATON-M90-SUPERCHARGER-TEFLON-TOP-GASKET_W0QQitemZ270463103678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef8db72b e

T-bird4vr
11-07-2009, 08:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THUNDERBIRD-EATON-M90-SUPERCHARGER-TEFLON-TOP-GASKET_W0QQitemZ270463103678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMot ors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef8db72b e

Ha, I'll be damed. Is it teflon or a 1 time use deal?

edit, I see it is teflon. Thanks!

fturner
11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Just make sure the mating surfaces are 100% totally flat. I tried using that teflon gasket and I had a HUGE leak and had to sand the top down alot to get it levelled off so the gasket would seal.

Fraser

Macros
11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Actually needed to go with 40 mm bolts just to clear the flange and teflon gasket! Guess it was raised larger than i thought! :)

95_XR7
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Like Fraser said, be careful where you use the teflon. The only place I ended up keeping them in use was at the TB and both connections on the DBL IC. Every other spot leaked horribly even after verifying that the SC and SC top were nearly perfectly flat.

It's a horrible feeling to put the car back together just to hear what sounds like a dying baby seal. (Seriously, it made a really messed up noise when I started it. I have a video to prove it.) :p

speedwagen
11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
For those who would consider using the teflon top gasket. Here is my technique for getting them to seal.

Check the flatness of the blower case and the top with
a steel rule to make sure the gasket surfaces are flat.

Inspect the gasket surfaces for any defects (scratch or gouges)

Position the plate in the bower case and shine a light from the opposite side to insure there is no warp in fit.

Inspect the threads in the mounting holes and make sure they are in good condition to take a torque down.

Clean surfaces, position the teflon gasket and cross corner tighten the bolts in multiple steps.

After a few heat cool cycles, check the torque once more.

If your doing a daily driver rebuild, then RTV get's er done fine. But if your a racer who unzips things, then the teflon can save you some time and effort.

I hope this helps, :)

Speedwagen

S_Mazza
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I have the teflon top gasket and it works all right, but it does need to be flat to seal. Also, it really tempts you to overtighten the blower top bolts, which can lead to stripping the holes out. So RTV is not a bad option. But if you are going to replace the bolts anyway, the teflon might be fine.