Manual steering rack

james5275

Hello all,
I have been searching for prices and availability of the manual steering rack for the MN12. The only info I could find was a specific NAPA store that modified racks, but where and the cost I couldn't find. My pump is starting to seize, and I'm due for an alignment anyway. Plus I'm all for cleaning up the engine bay. Thanks for looking!
JJ

Manual rack

Weight savings, simplicity, maintenance....
I have been thinking about converting for a while now. Figure if I need to spend the $$, might as well get what I'm looking for. I'm prepared to spend more for a conversion. I'm not 100% certain the pump is failing, but do know the belt is squealing at the pump with the engine running, and it's difficult to turn by hand with the belt removed. Do you know if the pump is centrifugal or positive displacement?
jj

The pump should not turn hard with the belt off, if yours is its on its way out the door. Replace it or get rid of it before you run into bigger issues.

tere is hardly any weight savings wit that rack. Steering is terrible unles your running skinny tires up front. If its a daily id deffinitly rethink it.

you will only save about 5 pounds maybee. you really dont need a manual rack if this is the option you want, all you need to do is connect the inlet and outlet of the rack together and there you go a manual rack.

but seriously this is a heavy car with alot of weight on front axle area. i took the belts off my car reciently and drove it out the shop into the parking lot around and my god it was terrible anything below 30 or so is almost impossible.

but i believe if you absolutly have to have one the manual rack from summit racing for mustangs are identical except for the outer tie rod ends.

but seriously this is a heavy car with alot of weight on front axle area. i took the belts off my car reciently and drove it out the shop into the parking lot around and my god it was terrible anything below 30 or so is almost impossible.
I don't think a manual rack is the same as a disconnected power rack, is it?
A manual rack would be appealing to me for the extra room and eliminating leaks, for good.

I don't think a manual rack is the same as a disconnected power rack, is it?
A manual rack would be appealing to me for the extra room and eliminating leaks, for good.

Usually a manual rack takes 1 to 2 more turns from lock to lock than a power rack.On my 71 Buick Skylark a manual rack is 4.5 turns,a power rack is 3.75, and a quick ratio rack is 3.I'm not sure about the MNs.I thought they were all power assist.

you really dont need a manual rack if this is the option you want, all you need to do is connect the inlet and outlet of the rack together and there you go a manual rack.

I disagree. Manual racks are made with different ratios so they're easier to turn without power assist. Turn your ignition to the final position before engine start and try turning the wheel to see just how awful a power rack w/no power assist will feel.

But with that said I think a manual rack on a car this heavy is a bad idea unless it's a dedicated drag car.

In my opinion a manual rack is the way to go. I had one on my car and I loved it. Not sure about the 5 lbs. part but it dosent draw off any power and it sure makes things easier to get at. It is not like taking your belt off a power steering car. Manual boxes have differant ratios. They are not for the faint of heart but as long as the car is moving the slightest bit its not hard for me to turn. If I ever did another SC I would do it again. That abd get rid of the ABS brakes.:D

The steering effort on a manual rack has alot to do with tire size.
With drag skinnies up front it is not that bad, but with some 275 40 R17s up front it becomes a chore...............

I disagree. Manual racks are made with different ratios so they're easier to turn without power assist. Turn your ignition to the final position before engine start and try turning the wheel to see just how awful a power rack w/no power assist will feel.

But with that said I think a manual rack on a car this heavy is a bad idea unless it's a dedicated drag car.

That would give a false feeling.When a power rack is turning with the engine off,you fight the fluid pushing out of the rack, and back through the pump.

The best way to use a power rack as a manual rack would be to drain all the fluid out of the rack, and use pipe plugs to block the hose ports.I stated earlier in this post about the differences in power and manual steering racks.

The steering effort on a manual rack has alot to do with tire size.
With drag skinnies up front it is not that bad, but with some 275 40 R17s up front it becomes a chore...............

Tire width does contribute to the force needed to turn the tires.The wider the tire, the more resistance there is to turn.

My car is a weekend warrior if that, it only logs about 1000 miles per year. I plan to throw some skinnies on...someday. As my mechanical abilities grow, (and income grow) the car will see more track time.
jj

Manual racks are made with different ratios so they're easier to turn without power assist. Turn your ignition to the final position before engine start and try turning the wheel to see just how awful a power rack w/no power assist will feel.

Exactly. I've driven my last one without power steering on the power rack and it was terrible. Absolutely NO comparison to what a manual rack actually feels likes. Manual racks have a numerically higher turns ratio to make them easier to turn, but with that you will loose steering response.

Tire width does play a factor but not nearly as much as that ratio does.

Exactly. I've driven my last one without power steering on the power rack and it was terrible. Absolutely NO comparison to what a manual rack actually feels likes. Manual racks have a numerically higher turns ratio to make them easier to turn, but with that you will loose steering response.

Tire width does play a factor but not nearly as much as that ratio does.

Back