PDA

View Full Version : Radio wiring help

micah_jones
11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok, well the kid that had my 90 anniversary before me absolutely hacked the wiring to hell and now I have no clue how to put my new radio in. Can I only put a new cd player where the cassette player is? That is where he hacked it all up. Is there a harness to put a new cd player is where the JBL CD player is? He didnt do anything to the wiring there and if I can just get a plug in harness, I wouldnt mind the CD player being down there. Please give me a link to a harness. Thanks.

KMT
11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
>Please give me a link to a harness.

http://www.scosche.com

You might need more than one - one is to adapt new equipment at that dash and the other is to bypass the amps at the back...

micah_jones
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
>Please give me a link to a harness.

http://www.scosche.com

You might need more than one - one is to adapt new equipment at that dash and the other is to bypass the amps at the back...

Those dont look like they would plug into the connectors that came out of the CD player. Are they to put a CD player where the cassette player is?

the-big-e
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I hate it when previous owners do this kind of hack job.....:mad:

You can replace the entire JBL radio wiring harness and get the proper adapter.....

It isn't that hard of a job....

Do you have power antenna.....

micah_jones
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, I tore it down and used my multimeter to find out why it wouldnt turn on. Turns out there was no power going to the wire. Checked the fuses, and he has the dang power wire spliced into the fuse, and the fuse was blown. So there is one single power going into the dash, but it works now. Of course it isnt a constant though, so no memory power. Where is a good place to hack into for a constant? I am assuming the cigarette lighter? Any easy way to get to the wire for it without tearing the dash apart?

micah_jones
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I hate it when previous owners do this kind of hack job.....:mad:

You can replace the entire JBL radio wiring harness and get the proper adapter.....

It isn't that hard of a job....

Do you have power antenna.....

Yes I have power antenna, but I think I figured it out for the most part. See my above post for the questions I have now.

KMT
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Those dont look like they would plug into the connectors that came out of the CD player.

Sorry, I thought you were going to replace that unit w/another....which is what I'd recommend doing - replace the head unit, CD and amps altogether, and get away from the stock equipment.

the-big-e
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I would go ahead and replace the entire radio harness....

You will have to splice the green and red wires going to the power antenna.....

I have a JBL radio harness, if you want to go that route.....

Your memory power is the blue wire......

Check the 5 amp fuse in the power distribution box in the engine compartment, that is your memory power fuse.....

micah_jones
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I would go ahead and replace the entire radio harness....

You will have to splice the green and red wires going to the power antenna.....

I have a JBL radio harness, if you want to go that route.....

Your memory power is the blue wire......

Check the 5 amp fuse in the power distribution box in the engine compartment, that is your memory power fuse.....

Where is the blue wire? Am I supposed to hack into the big gray wire and use those wires for power, ground, etc..? The kid before me just had speaker wire going from the fuse box to the spot for the head unit for power.

None2Slow
11-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Can you post a clear picture of what you have in there? It would help alot.

the-big-e
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
The big gray wire is your speaker wire bundle that goes back to the amp.....

I agree, post a picture.....

micah_jones
11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Cell phone pic, sorry.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/Micah_Jones/My%20car/1104091520.jpg

thirdbird
11-09-2009, 11:51 PM
hey

not trying to complicate things...
You might need to re-run your ign/constant wires.
Upside of that is you can run them anywhere....
If you have your heart set on putting your radio in the bottom slot u need to pull factory harness from the top slot down to there with a fish cable/coat hanger, or connect adapter wires to harness in upper slot and run those to the bottom. I have done this to every tbird I had because I preferred my gear(the radio) to be less visible to the unsavorys.. Plus the shifter prevents easy theft.
...And Also I like to put add on gauges and switches in upper part for easy er reading.

paul

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
hey

not trying to complicate things...
You might need to re-run your ign/constant wires.
Upside of that is you can run them anywhere....
If you have your heart set on putting your radio in the bottom slot u need to pull factory harness from the top slot down to there with a fish cable/coat hanger, or connect adapter wires to harness in upper slot and run those to the bottom. I have done this to every tbird I had because I preferred my gear(the radio) to be less visible to the unsavorys.. Plus the shifter prevents easy theft.
...And Also I like to put add on gauges and switches in upper part for easy er reading.

paul

I dont care where the radio is. I sort of got it figured out, but only temporarily. Basically, I just ran wires to the fuse box for constant and switched power. I used the cigarette lighter fuse for constant and the radio fuse for switched. It is working for now but can this cause damage to something in my car?

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I dont care where the radio is. I sort of got it figured out, but only temporarily. Basically, I just ran wires to the fuse box for constant and switched power. I used the cigarette lighter fuse for constant and the radio fuse for switched. It is working for now but can this cause damage to something in my car?

all you can do is blow fuses, you should be fine tho.
:)

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 12:34 AM
all you can do is blow fuses, you should be fine tho.
:)

Havent blown anything yet. I only used like 24ga wire though. Think I need thicker wire? It hasnt got hot yet after playing the radio for about a half hour. I guess next is find a place for power wire for my amp :D

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 12:41 AM
24awg is too thin for the yellow wire on your radio, you should use 16awg.
An amplifier needs at leat 8awg(4awg is best) wire run straight to battery + and fused within 6" of the positive terminal of your battery.
DO NOT try to power an aftermarket amp on any of the factory wiring!
Fires are started this way...
paul

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 12:44 AM
24awg is too thin for the yellow wire on your radio, you should use 16awg.
An amplifier needs an 8awg wire run straight to battery + and fused within 6" of the positive terminal of your battery.
DO NOT try to power an aftermarket amp on any of the factory wiring!
Fires are started this way...
paul

What will happen if the yellow wire is only 24ga? Also, I know how about amps/subs. I am running 1/0 ga to an AP1.5kd1 which will be powering a pair of Type R 12s. Pretty basic setup I know, but its loud enough for me. The thing I was asking is in another post I made...

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 12:57 AM
the yellow wire in the harness of modern aftermarket radios is a memory backup PLUS power amp wire.
It draws enough current to supply 4 speakers with up to 22.5 watts RMS.
I forget the formula for watts vs current, (somewhere in my other computer) but its roughly 4 amps at that power level.
Even if you are not using the amp in the radio, its still good practice to use more adequate conductor/wire.
a 24 awg wire is too small for 4 amp constant current for sure.
Good to hear about the sub amp!

paul

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 01:03 AM
the yellow wire in the harness of modern aftermarket radios is a memory backup PLUS power amp wire.
It draws enough current to supply 4 speakers with up to 22.5 watts RMS.
I forget the formula for watts vs current, (somewhere in my other computer) but its roughly 4 amps at that power level.
Even if you are not using the amp in the radio, its still good practice to use more adequate conductor/wire.
a 24 awg wire is too small for 4 amp constant current for sure.
Good to hear about the sub amp!

paul

Alright, well this has me worried now :( What is the easiest way to rerun power from the the CD player to the fuse box without yanking out the dash?

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Alright, well this has me worried now :( What is the easiest way to rerun power from the the CD player to the fuse box without yanking out the dash?

Connect yellow wire to wire on the cig lighter and your all done, assuming it is always on. Some cars it doesn't work with key off.

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Connect yellow wire to wire on the cig lighter and your all done, assuming it is always on. Some cars it doesn't work with key off.

Well since the fuse from the cigarette is working right now, I would imagine the wire going to it would work. This was actually going to be my original plan, but didnt see an easy way to get to the cig lighter, so I just used the wire the previous owner already ran...

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Well since the fuse from the cigarette is working right now, I would imagine the wire going to it would work. This was actually going to be my original plan, but didnt see an easy way to get to the cig lighter, so I just used the wire the previous owner already ran...

sounds good!

micah_jones
11-10-2009, 01:12 AM
sounds good!

What is the easiest way to get to the cigarette lighter wires? through the bottom DIN opening probably?

thirdbird
11-10-2009, 01:20 AM
bottom din, yup.
the round socket 90* connector on back of lighter assy is the positive wire.

nite nite!