Walk me through, the AOD missing 4th gear

lbreen

Looking for opinions. The 4th gear is gone on an otherwise very nice 91 sc. To replace this "band", does the whole unit have to be dropped? I suppose it would be too much hard work to do it on the car. A good friend told me, it can be done at home, but it takes a lot. We either have time and no money or money and no time. I have time and no money, I hope to have more cash next year. Your ideas would be great. lbreen

The trans has to come out and be completely disassembled. More then likely more than just the band will need replaced, I would figure on a complete rebuild.

Plan on a 2 inch band swap. Using a mechanical diode late design reverse drum. The real solution for this transmission. Expect damage to the direct drum as well. Did you find the tv cable off that ultimately caused the problem?
Alan

thanks fellas, Did figure out too late about the TV cable. It's secure, two washers and a spring clip, took care of that. Just have to figure on a removal. Do not know if I will rebuild or take it to a shop. Need a correct one for a sc. Thanks for the help. Larry

Another chicago guy is pulling his to have me check it for him after some differential damage. You might be able to sweet talk him into loading yours when he comes and I can have a look at it for you. Hard to say exactly what it will cost but I guarantee for what any aamco will charge I can build you an upgraded unit.
Alan

Back