A few questions about put together process.

justin

As many of you know I have purchased a new sc that was in pieces. Anyways, I am now to the assembly process. I really need to know if I should reuse the dowel pin that was in my old balancer? I know that I should be using the bhj or bjh balancer, not sure how to say it? I am using what came with the car for now. Also, I have literally a box of nuts and bolts from the previous owner. I managed to find out from a previous post what bolts were for the water pump but I really need to figure out what bolts are for the timing cover? Pictures would help like a hamburger would help an Ethiopian!:(

I guess I should've posted this on some other forum??? All these views and no response? I guess none of the viewers have been that far into their motor?????:rolleyes:

As many of you know I have purchased a new sc that was in pieces. Anyways, I am now to the assembly process. I really need to know if I should reuse the dowel pin that was in my old balancer? I know that I should be using the bhj or bjh balancer, not sure how to say it? I am using what came with the car for now. Also, I have literally a box of nuts and bolts from the previous owner. I managed to find out from a previous post what bolts were for the water pump but I really need to figure out what bolts are for the timing cover? Pictures would help like a hamburger would help an Ethiopian!:(

If balancer isn't going back on the same motor/crank the pin can and probably should be removed. Used balancers don't usually last more than a couple months when put on another motor, so it probably doesn't matter.

David

The timing cover has some unique long studs/bolts, do some searching in this forum and you will find many posts with pictures. Typically, at least two of the 4 long ones are going to be corroded to badly for reuse, they can be purchased from ford but not cheap. Unless you have assembled an sc engine from the ground up before then you really need the Ford service manual for your year Bird, it has part numbers for all the bolts, etc. and good instructions for assembly (Not Haynes, or Chiltons - you need the Ford service manual, look on ebay).

I chose to replace many of the standard size bolts and nuts when I did my rebuild, it was easier than cleaning the old ones. Best of all, I didn't lose any sleep when I had a pile of bolts left over...

The timing cover is a real pain to remove once the engine is assembled and installed. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and not damaged. I removed the dowels and sanded the surfaces with 400 grit on a flat wood block to clean mine up, I did the same thing where the oil pump mounts and the gears had scored it - you have to be careful to remove the same amount of the material from the entire surface, to keep it flat, or you will make it worse.

Nothing on this car is forgiving, if you half ~~~ anything it will come back to bite you, I've learned many hard lessons working on these cars for 13 years, and done many jobs twice.

Good luck.
Bob

Back