Cold Air Intake Options

sts70004

So I'm going to build myself a cold air intake system in the near future. I've already removed the air silencer from my car, and I've got a cone filter. My question is do you recommend tucking the air filter under the fender, or leaving it in the engine bay, but building an air dam to separate the filter from the hot underhood air? I think the air filter in the fender would be easier, and from what it looks like, theres not too much risk of getting water up there but I wasn't sure. And it would put the filter a little farther from the MAF sensor, and I've heard rumors of oil from the filter getting on the MAF sensor, and this would help alleviate that (if its even true)

air dam

IMHO. I think that putting the cone down where the silencer was is the way to get the coolest air, but if you only knew the number of T-Birds and Mark VIII's I have read about that have been hydrolocked, you would discount that option, and investigate the more efficient hot air dams for the engine compartment.

Wow that looks really good. I guess I hadn't thought of making a new "air box" to hold the filter. Sure beats trying to seal a divider along the hood. I think I'll definitely start workin on something like that.

IMHO. I think that putting the cone down where the silencer was is the way to get the coolest air, but if you only knew the number of T-Birds and Mark VIII's I have read about that have been hydrolocked, you would discount that option, and investigate the more efficient hot air dams for the engine compartment.

I'm not sure i've heard much about this. I guess its possible but just dont drive through 3 ft of water :). I was considering using the MAC intake myself.

Wow that looks really good. I guess I hadn't thought of making a new "air box" to hold the filter. Sure beats trying to seal a divider along the hood. I think I'll definitely start workin on something like that.

i did the seal to the hood thing with mine only thing is i have a mini cowl that i sealed the divider to for constant flow of fresh air.

dont worry so much about the cold air being sucked into the supercharger. concentrate on after the air is compressed.......meaning upgrade your intercooler. every little bit helps, but the intercooler is more important than a "cold" air intake as opposed to one thats mounted inside the engine compartment. just my opinion :)

dont worry so much about the cold air being sucked into the supercharger. concentrate on after the air is compressed.......meaning upgrade your intercooler. every little bit helps, but the intercooler is more important than a "cold" air intake as opposed to one thats mounted inside the engine compartment. just my opinion :)

Well I've got a fan on it until I can put in either a Front mount or a double. I want to go front mount even though my power goals aren't that high. I just feel that it'd give me extra insurance on engine life.

the stock intake is a cold air intake....
You will get probably identical benefits from a washable filter panel for the stock airbox.
Wish I did that before buying all that stuff for my last sc...

/.02

Front mount is probably the best way to go. If you can make your own custom front mount like other people have you would save a whole lot of money since there aren't many options for a kit that's available for the SC. Magnum powers is the only one that I know of. Don't get me wrong, the fit and finish of that kit is great but I personally feel it is overpriced. Back on topic, like I said front mount is the way to go. That way if you were to add more performance parts that will be one huge component that you won't have to worry about upgrading again. I think the most important thing to consider with the intake is not the placement of the filter, it's more the diameter of the intake tube you are going to use. The intercooler is what's going to make more of a difference than the choice of the intake

the stock intake is a cold air intake....
You will get probably identical benefits from a washable filter panel for the stock airbox.
Wish I did that before buying all that stuff for my last sc...

/.02

Well somehow the previous owner broke the air box with a reusable K&N filter... Maybe he got the wrong one, but it was thicker than the stock on, and all the tabs and hooks were broken. So I just bought a $20 Cone filter at Autozone to replace it.

With just a 76mm MAF, 75mm TB, and a K&N panel filter in the stock air box with all the rest of the stock intake in place, the car is ready to go intake wise up to and a little over 300rwhp.

If you are not after huge HP I'd just get a KW DIC, and a shorter A/C condensor, seal everything up so air can't get around the DIC and call it a day.

At the track, I don't see much more than 20-25 degree increase from starting at the tree to the top end. I could run multiple back to back runs and never see my ACT's go over 120F (thats the temp spark starts getting pulled) with no icing down, and the car performed consistently.

I ran 7 laps of a 1.86 mile road course and my temps never went high enough to pull timing and slow me down. She was just as quick the last lap as the first lap was.

That was making a little over 300rwhp.

Fraser

Back