Multiple car problems HELP!

Chumboman

First of the fuel pump is whining like heck! the noise gets higher while i drive for longer time, (one time i was driving the car and the sound was whining as usual, but suddenly the sound stopped, but then after the sound started again) also if i turn the car off for a minute the sound deadens... my remedy when the noise is too annoying -_-...

Also i think my alternator is going bad as i can see the lights dimming in the interior and exterior, so i am wondering if a failing alternator can be the culprit for the fuel pump noise, or if the fuel pump can make the alternator fail.. and also while radio is on i can hear a whine from the audio gets higher while i accelerate..

I refuse to believe the fuel pump is bad because it was fixed about 6 months ago... or could it be bad luck??
(its a 1993 SC)

just a shot in the dark here but it almost sounds like a bad pump. when you turn the car on but dont turn the engine the pump should run for a few seconds. if you here it then and it sounds bad that would rule out the alt and demand the pump is shot. and or faulty wiring. another way to check for the pump is to check the pressure. if the alt is going bad they usually start running hot. start the car for about 2 min and then feel the alt, also check the alt for charge voltage. it should be atleast 13vdc or higher. some alts have been know to run as high as 17vdc, very uncommon but is still ok in most cases. another thing to check is the batt, if its bad it could be putting a strain on everything else. check this with the key off and check for atleast 11.5 vdc or better. if its below that then you have a dead cell.

Last edited:
The pump sounds like it was a cheap eplacement pump that is just noisy. I have seen pumps last years while making that same noise. If it is to much to bear replace it with a high quality replacement. Your light and radio issue sounds like two possible problems, either bad grounds somewhere or the rectifier in the alt. is bad. Or I guess a bad ground could of put extra strain on the altenator and caused it to go bad. Good luck with your issues.

changed the fuel filter today and cleaned the MAF, the car runs muuuuch better!! still there is the annoying sound coming from the fuel pump, weird thing is that the noise is different and now the noise deadens when you accelerate (before it sounded like a UFO.. now its more like a fast humming)

Back