exhuast smell under load

joeduno

Hi all,
Like the title says, I'm getting a horrible exhuast smell under load. I was just under the car looking for obvious signs of exhaust leaks, and couldn't find one. I had someone rev the car while I was under it, but still couldn't find the leak. You can only smell it when the windows are down, and you give it just a little more than little old lady accleration.

The car does have a CHEAP catless downpipe, I figured for sure the welds on that would be leaking, but again, no black soot anywhere, but when you smell the exhuast it smells like the car is running horribly rich.

I have checked the EGR tube going to the passenger header, but couldn't see any leaks.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to have to listen to my girlfriend complain about how my car stinks and she should have driven....I also would like to live past my 30th b-day, and if she has to keep driving, I doubt I will :eek:

thanks guys,
Joe

Saw this problem on a T-Bird LX, which isn't the same car, but hey - exhaust is exhaust. On the car mentioned the problem was actually crack in the exhaust manifold. :rolleyes:

>...but when you smell the exhuast it smells like the car is running horribly rich.

Is outside air temp a factor at all? Is your gas cap in good shape?

Check the integrity of the vapor fuel recovery charcoal canister...right front...

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check out the EVAP system, and a close look at the headers to see if I can find a small crack.

As for the smell like rotten eggs, I'd say no. Easiest way to explain the smell...

When you're driving down the road behind that rusted out, 1984 Chevy 1ton cargo van that is only running on 2 of the 8 cylinders...... Thats how it smells.

Back