Temp gauge through through the roof!

MrSnow

I am driving 100 miles to another town and the temp gauge just shot up to H after 50 miles... I am pulled over eating now to let it cool off. I think its my themostat, if it cools back down is it safe to drive the rest of the 50 miles. I read that driving a car with this can ruin the cpu? What's my options?

-Da Snow... :(

Last edited:
unplug the ect sensor. its on the very front left hand corner of the intake manifold sticking up. the radiator fan should come on and you'll get a CEL.

see if that keeps the temps down

Last edited:
unplug the ect sensor. its on the very front left hand corner of the intake manifold sticking up. the radiator fan should come one and you'll get a CEL.

see if that keeps the temps down

Left hand as your looking @ engine bay? Also is a CEL just the check engine light?
-Newb city here...

Left hand facing the engine bay....in other words...passenger side. Yes CEL = Check Engine Light.

The radaitor fan didn't come on right away from what I could see... I'm running this thing with the heater on high and going the 50 miles down. I replaced that sending unit 2 weeks ago.So is it the rad or the themostat? The cel is always on since the ac on this car is ~~~~ed.

With the engine running and the sensor unplugged the fan should come right on. If not there's other probs. Like a bad fan motor or ircm.

Did u unplug the right one ? The connector is like a tear drop shape. Got a point on it.

With the engine running and the sensor unplugged the fan should come right on. If not there's other probs. Like a bad fan motor or ircm.

Did u unplug the right one ? The connector is like a tear drop shape. Got a point on it.

I'm pretty sure. Its the one to the right of the supercharger pully. The last time I saw the fan working was this summer when I let the temp gauge get to the middle of gauge. I'll add a pic when I get there. IRCM stands for?
-DaSnow

That would be to the left hand (passenger side) of supercharger pulley correct? IRCM = Integrated Relay Control Module.

That would be to the left hand (passenger side) of supercharger pulley correct? IRCM = Integrated Relay Control Module.

I unplugged the unit to the right ( drivers side ) of sc pulley and left it off. Now as I'm driving it goes.from H and drops completly below C now.... ~~~?! Did the IRCM just get the connection?

You just unplugged the sender for the guage so now it reads nothing (below cold) cause the sender is no longer hooked to the guage. Plug it back in.

I got a new ect sensor anyone know what size of socket I need for that and the thermostat?
-Da Snow

i can't remember exactly.. im thinking somewhere between 13/16 7/8 or 1

thermostat housing is held in by two 10mm bolts.. be sure you get a new gasket.. also, most new thermostats have a bypass in them, if it does you'll need to plug the bypass hose coming from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

when you put the new thermostat in, put it in with the bypass on the side and twist the thermostat in the housing, theres little tabs that lock the thermostat in place that way when you align the housing back to the intake the thermostat doesn't fall out.

also.. the supercoupe has a specific thermostat housing gasket. not the same generic gasket used on most other fords since we have that bypass bung.

i can't remember exactly.. im thinking somewhere between 13/16 7/8 or 1

thermostat housing is held in by two 10mm bolts.. be sure you get a new gasket.. also, most new thermostats have a bypass in them, if it does you'll need to plug the bypass hose coming from the thermostat housing to the water pump.

when you put the new thermostat in, put it in with the bypass on the side and twist the thermostat in the housing, theres little tabs that lock the thermostat in place that way when you align the housing back to the intake the thermostat doesn't fall out.

also.. the supercoupe has a specific thermostat housing gasket. not the same generic gasket used on most other fords since we have that bypass bung.

Bypass..... what tstat are you talking about? I have yet to see an OEM or aftermarket tstat specifically for our cars that have a "bypass" function on them. The Ford ones have a small hole along the edge with a little rivet in them that is to go to the top when installed in the housing to assist in bleeding out the air. On aftermarkets, I'll drill a small 1/8" hole along the edge to do just that. As for the bypass, that is there to help promote continuous coolant flow in that area of the manifold so the tstat can "see" a continuous flow by it, otherwise there would be no flow around there, and it would be too late by the time latent heat warms that area up.

The OEM tstat has tabs that allow for the twist and lock as you are describing, but most after market's don't. This is the reason why it has been posted so many times in these forums about using a little glue or lock tite to hold the tstat in place when installing.

Fraser

So I've been driving with the ect sensor unplugged for the last few months no prob then last week I replaced the thermostat and it seemed to fix the problem but its back again I guess... I thought I had replaced that ircm earlier but maybe I didn't... Don't remember... So I'll double check the thread later to see if that picture does anything to refresh my memory... Craaaap.

Back