Need Advice! Code 216 plus #@%

San Diego Scott

Need Advice!

While on the Freeway, my '92 SC developed a "Loss of Power" with hesitation, stuttering, and it finally died after about 10 seconds. I was able to pull off to the side before it stopped rolling, and it started right back up again with no problems. I drove another 3 miles when the same problem happened again, and I again pulled off to the side and it started right back up again with no problems. I headed for the Ford Dealer 10 miles down the road but not before the same scenario happened again 3 more times, with one of the events at a stop light.

They said Code 216 appeared which is a bad Coil Pack, but they also ran a further diagnostic check that said my DIS Module was bad AND my ECM Processor had 2 defective Drivers (Total cost $1,190). This car has been well maintained (including new plugs and wires 10,000 miles ago... 105,000 mi. on car).

What are the chances that ALL 3 of these Ignition system components died all at the same time ??? Did one make the other go bad?

How do I determine if the components suggested are all bad ??

What would you do ?

HELP

Could be...

I had the same codes with a similar problem. They were all cured by a new DIS. These have really fallen in price in the past few years so it isn't as big a deal as it used to be to throw one at the car. Coil packs are really durabble in these cars and rarley go bad and the computer pin code can definately be a dumby code. Changing the DIS is an easy 2-10 min job (4 screws, 2 plugs, and some heatsink compound from Radio Shack) so don't let it scare you. I always deal with Dan Newman at:
www.fivestarford.com
parts division

He is in Scottsdale, AZ. Shipping is fast and prices are great. Whatever you do, don't take the diagnostic skills of the dealer as gospel. The dealers rarely know any more (usually less) than a SC enthusiast. If you need any help just post and somebody will jump in!

Good luck,
Anthony

Thanks Anthony!

I did order the DIS module from 5 Star Ford, as well as the Coil Pack and some other stuff. They said the Coil Pack can be returned if unopened (and unused), if not needed.

I really appreciate your advice and insight. Thanks

Did the DIS Module solve your problem? Just wondering because I am having a hard starting and intermittent tach problem even after changing the cam sensor.

I don't think it is the crank sensor because someone on this board said if the crank sensor was causing the hard starting that the "SHIFT" light would be light up while cranking. Don't know if this is true though.

dis module

if yer tachy goes to zero and jumps around a lil bit while the engine is cutting out...... replace that darn dis, i let my friend do the troubleshooting and i did the dirty work (replacing crank sensor...after he did the cam sensor) and then when i finally got to diagnose the problem myself, i knew what it was.....so anyone that has these problems save yourself some trouble and replace that dis....they're easy ....relatively cheap and everybody is selling them (unless you want a new one) would've saved me alot of trouble! good luck! :)

DrFish

yessiree!

yes my friend's car did have a hard starting problem, especially when the dis was acting up (his was a periodical problem dis....wasn't all the way dead) but it was always a little hard to start, and then almost impossible at times. so the starting er up problem is included in this nasty package. (i'm not an expert on all this, just giving you what i know! ;) ) i think that's all the symtoms that it had......or at least the two most noticeable!

DrFish

Yes, the new DIS module fixed it.

(I did not need to replace the coil pack, or EEC.)

I have to Plug www.fivestarford.com for selling ORIGINAL FORD Factory Parts at a great discount from list price. I've worked with both Dan and Max in the parts dept., and they both make extra efforts to make sure the correct part for my car is the one that is sent. I have also bought Shocks, Rack & Pinion Gear Box, Control Arms, ... the list goes on. There is a small UPS shipping cost, but there is NO TAX on parts when you purchase out-of-state. (It's like an additional discount on top of the discount!)

Thanks for the response. I bought a new DIS at Autozone (WELLS brand) for $87 and it fixed my problem as well.

Thanks for all the help.

glad things turned out!

glad i could help, that's one thing this site is for as i have learned! ;) spread the knowledge! :) take care guys!

DrFish

Back