Tranny problem maybe

SVT_BIRDSC

Ok I was driving my 92 Sc it is a auto.and at a stop light the car got to shakeing real bad and like a bad skip then it lockd the motor up or cut it off it want crank in any gear but netural and when it does crank in netural and u put it any gear it will cut off it will fire up for a slpit second shakeing like crazy.Someone said the conveter locked up and someone else says it the netural safety switch.And someone else says its tranny anyone have a clue thanks

Sounds like the direct drum clutches welded together. Is the grommet on the tv cable in proper working order? How does the fluid look?
Alan

neutral and park should be the exact same "gear" if you will. the only difference is that in park the parking pawl is engaged.

is it possible that he motor itself locked up, broken compnent. any load placed on motor from then on would make it stop. was motor making any strange noises. does it make strange noises when you do get it to fire up in neutral?

it would be hard to diagnose unless you get it to a shop of some sort. doesnt sound like a easy driveway fix to me. once motor starts it should not be looking for a Park neutral switch anymore so that wouldnt "shut the motor off"

do some basic checks, fuel pressure, any faults in car? does motor spin over nice and easy when starter turns it? my 1992 when I bought it had a rod knock, that would come and go. but on cold starts it would turn over slowly and barely idle then when warmed up a bit the noise would come and motor ran like ~~~. stallig and such at different times. #2 bearing was completly welded to the crank. but that was my motor.

I tried to reply to your pm That problem is a sign of the snap ring coming off of the roller clutch.
It is actually an easy fix to get the noise to go away, but you are better off to upgrade parts if you want it to last.
Alan

Back