jack shaft?

90xr7reborn

PULLY QUESTION?

is there anyway to replace the shaft for the pullys that run the supercharger from the main pully( the two in the middle between them) or do i have to replace the whole assembly? I had a nasty rattle,I thought it was the supercharger so i took off the belt and it still did it. I then replaced the tensioner pullies all three and still had it and it's getting worse, so today i took off the other belt from the harmonic balancer along with the supercharger belt and the noise went away so that has to be it. has anyone else had this problem? and how much am i looking at for a replacement. thanks...Bill

Last edited:
has no one else had this problem?I can't beleive i am the only one. Maybe it's becouse the post isn't about motor mounts or exhaust:D ...Bill

;) Guess you're the only one!

I'd advise a trip to the junk yard for this one. If you could order a new one (pulley), it would be about 5x more expensive than a used one and a used one should work just fine.

Next time, please try to phrase your question in the form of a motor mount issue. For example, if your sunroof is sticking, say something like "when moving the sunroof while trying to change my motor mounts, I noticed it would stick"..:rolleyes:

I just wish i could change the shaft on the damn thing. My car is so quiet without the blower running and that noisy pully i almost thought it stalled on me the other day. I will try to add "motor mount" into all my future questions :D . I just talked to sunny627 and he has the bracket for 50+shipping so i will go that route.Thanks for your quick response to my post SCfan :D ...Bill

The original bearing was NSK 885925, but it is no longer made. Another number that is supposed to fit (I have not done this) is NSK 885932. It is the same bearing, but will not have the 1" sticking out the back. (As most suspect, it is like a water pump bearing.) There is also no stop for the pressing the pulley back on, so you will need to know the dimension of how far to press it back on. You should be able to measure your old bearing to get this dimension. It is recommended that you press the bearing back in the housing first, then support the shaft in the back, then press the pulley piece back on.Please let me know by e-mail or posting if you try this. I have been wanting to confirm this bearing and procedure, but have not had time!

The shaft has the inner race for the bearing, so it comes as a unit. It is like a water pump bearing and the grease is sealed in with the bearings and is already attached to the shaft.Below is a pic of the water pump bearing (NOT THE JACKSHAFT BEARING). The jackshaft one is similar, but is larger diameter.

wpbrng1.jpg

It can be pressed out either way. It is best to press it out from the back towards the front. If you go the other way you must first remove the piece where the pulley would bolt up. The shaft and the bearings come out as one piece. If you look at the picture of the water pump pulley the larger cylinder on the right side holds the bearings inside. That small cylinder piece on the left is the water seal on the water pump bearing, there is nothing like it on the jackshaft pulley.You would have to open up that metal cylinder to actually get to or even see the actual ball bearings. There are grooves cut into the shaft that form the inner bearing race. there are two sets of ball bearings in that casing.

Most people just buy a used bracket! The whole new bracket with pulley was available from Ford, but was expensive and may now be obsolete. The 89-93 bracket is different from the 94-95, but the bearing should be the same. I know ESM talked about doing exchange replacements on these things, but don't know if that has happened yet. Paul at BT Motorsports will know if they will be doing the rebuilding. More and more will start to fail as the years go bad and good used ones will be harder to find.

I'm having this same problem: I have a 1993 Thunderbird Super Coupe (Thelma Lou) with whom I need help. The engine was making a pretty loud rattle or vibrating noise, which a "shade tree mechanic" friend said sounded like one of the belt pulley's needed tightening.

Well, he was right, because when I took it to my mechanic it turned out the Jack Shaft that runs the super charger is loose, which is mounted in the same housing as (right under) the air conditioner. He said he could move it back and forth with his hand up to 3/8"! The way the thing is mounted, he says there's no way to tighten it, but it will have to be replaced. Apparently, the shaft is held by a set of bearings that snaps into the housing, and my mechanic (who is very competent and a great guy, but has no experience with super chargers) says maybe the bearings could be repacked or we could replace the whole housing that holds the Jack Shaft, a/c and other stuff if we could find one in a junk yard that has good bearings.

Another problem is that when the mechanic called the Ford parts desk, they couldn't figure out what part to which he was referring and said they didn't have anything listed as a Jack Shaft. After he described it to them, they said the only part the could find which MIGHT be the one needed is out of stock and no longer produced!

Does any of this make any sense to you? Do you have any ideas or advice about how to proceed? Do you know of any mechanics who own or work on these cars in the Dallas area or how I can go about finding one?

Right now, to prevent the Jack Shaft from seizing up, which would break that belt, which could get into the serpentine belt and do God knows what other damage to the engine, the mechanic suggested running without the super charger. So we took off the two belts that run the super charger to see if it would run without it. He talked to a couple of other people who indicated the only problem with that is the engine wouldn't get enough air. It seems to do okay up to 40 or 45, but chokes out after that, so I'm just sticking to the surface streets until we get this resolved.

Thanks for your time, and please let me know if you have any contacts or advice.

90xr7reborn, please let me know what you ended up doing how your experience went.

gldiii ......... any other information or thoughts on your great post on the replacement part?

Advice from anyone else is welcome.

Thanks. :confused:

90xr7reborn or LLHS ,How much do you want for your old jackshaft bracket.

I would like to get a worn out one to see if I can rebuild it.

THANKS RANDY

LLHS if you need a bracket I would get a hold of tbird88, he is in your area and might know someone who has one. You can run without the blower but it's a D-O-G dog!!!!! Randy how much are you willing to give me with shipping, they are heavy little suckers...Bill

Actually, we have started rebuilding the jackshaft pulley brackets with new bearings. We expect to have a few cores built and on the shelf in the next 2-3 weeks and will be offering an exchange program for these.

Paul

Last edited:
90xr7reborn,The price is up to you.If it is affordable I will buy it.
Any one else have one out there I would be interrested in buying
your jackshaft pulley bracket.
I have some titanium round stock.was wanting to make a new jackshaft
out of the titanium,with a new aluminum pulley.Plus I want to lighten
up th bracket.Its for my 9.sec. SC motor project.You want to help sponser
me with a bracket.for next year.
MY business E-mail . rbpertek@csoul.com

Last edited:
jackshaft?

Actually, we have started rebuilding the jackshaft pulley brackets with new bearings. We expect to have a few cores built and on the shelf in the next 2-3 weeks and will be offering an exchange program for these.

Paul

I would like to know it you still have this and how to go about sending a core in exchange. Thanks

Idler tension pullys

Paul

I need 2 New pullys. The one pully that turns the crank and the one for the Alernator.

This damned jack shaft has always been the nightmare of every SC or XR7 owner since I joined in 2002. It's one of those thing you PRAY never happens because unless you find one in a wreckers that is ok, you;re pretty much F'd.

A thought and I don't know that came to me after I posted this. I had a Ryan Harris made stock size aluminum JS pulley. Anyone think maybe these light weigh stock or overdrive might lengthen the life of the jack shaft...or is it more the tension of the belts wearing out the bearing and shaft not the weight?

Last edited:
This damned jack shaft has always been the nightmare of every SC or XR7 owner since I joined in 2002. It's one of those thing you PRAY never happens because unless you find one in a wreckers that is ok, you;re pretty much F'd.

No longer true, I believe....there are now parts available. You need to press out the old and in the new yourself, or pay a shop.

See this thread, starting about comment #19, I think:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...aft-bearing-replacement&p=1055694#post1055694

Ya well I seldom trust part sources from almost a year ago, they come and go.

I ran that NSK bearing part number, came up with a "possible" supplier in Springfield Ontario. I emailed them with part number asking if they carry it or an exact replacement. I don;t have this issue but may one day, so if I can help others I will.

I've run those numbers and found a few sources, but I haven't needed the parts myself yet.

Back