PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 inch AOD converter group buy (CLOSED)

Dirtyd0g
11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
By request I am setting up a group buy on AOD converters, I decided to include all of my 9.5 inch stock shaft versions into this. The stock shaft type units will fit transmissions that do not have an aftermarket input shaft excluding those using the stock type direct drive shaft. I offer them with or without the direct drive (lockup) at no additional cost. These also include the converter nuts so they are true bolt in and go, you can make your car fun in one easy purchase. Normal retail price is $550 however because of the volume I use of them I have left them on special for $525. This deal is even better. I am offering them at $475 for a limited time in this group purchase. The difference is that all of them will be built at roughly the same time. All the parts will be ordered at one time as well.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Here is a link the the product for pictures and information.
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/converters/ford/aod/billet-aod-9-5-stock-shafts/prod_3.html
Alan

fturner
11-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Alan,

What does the increased capacity diode and/or steel stator options do.

I'm in for one with direct drive @ 2400 stall for an aod.

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
The diode or sprag assembly is an increase meant for transbrake use. A steel stator becomes important at extremely high rpms.
Alan

kenewagner
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Put me on the buy list. 2400 stall

Ken

fturner
11-14-2009, 09:53 PM
The diode or sprag assembly is an increase meant for transbrake use. A steel stator becomes important at extremely high rpms.
Alan

So not neccesary in my case since I only plan on running up to 6500 rpm's.

Cool

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
11-15-2009, 12:12 AM
So not neccesary in my case since I only plan on running up to 6500 rpm's.

Cool

Fraser

In my opinion it is pointless with stock shafts. No need to overbuild the stator when it will not be the weak link, if you notice the 31 spline version I offer has it and the stock shaft version does not, that is because when you need one you need the other.
Alan

fturner
11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Doing some more research and knowing the way my car runs, I'm going to step up to 2600 stall instead of 2400, but still keep the direct drive.... that should put it right into the sweet spot when launching the car, as right now with the 2400, I can see from my logs it bogs a bit, and that extra 200 will get over that little hump.

Fraser

kenewagner
11-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Would it be better to drain the lentech converter and send it to you so the new one is correct or send pictures of it. I know squat about converters but I want to get it right. The lentech I have is 1 inch smaller in diameter and nonlocking

Ken

Dirtyd0g
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
You can send it to me, or a picture of your input shafts.
Alan

CMac89
11-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Weak stall speeds. WEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKK!!!!

Dirtyd0g
11-16-2009, 12:33 PM

I run a 4200 in my 4r70w, sc's don't need quite so much. With lockup 3000 is nice. Without it 2400-2800 is pretty common.
Alan

neverfastenough
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Yea. Frit I think you would be happier with a higher stall. I had a 2600 non locker and it was nice, but if I was going lock up I probably would have went 3200 ish.

Corey

kenewagner
11-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Who invited you to this party:rolleyes::D:D:D

fturner
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I have a reason for my madness ;), and I've never been one to do the same as everyone else :).

Fraser

neverfastenough
11-16-2009, 03:19 PM
well you are basically doing what everone else does, and thats run a low stall.:p Be a rebel and go 3600:cool: Could be loose enough to use a two step also....

kenewagner
11-16-2009, 03:46 PM
well you are basically doing what everone else does, and thats run a low stall.:p Be a rebel and go 3600:cool: Could be loose enough to use a two step also....

Not everyone is looking to be king of the strip:rolleyes:I, myself want excellent street manners. I should be able to run 11s with my new combination and that is enough for me as there are a lot of other guys that will always be faster than I. A nice cruiser is more important to some than an all out race thunderbird;)

Ken

neverfastenough
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Very true and mine is a street car also, thats why I swapped in a 5spd:p. BUT with a lock up, I think between 3-3500 would have perfectly fine street manners. I think Ryan Zimmerly runs over 3k stall and you cant tell just cuising around. My 2600 non locking you could really tell in 3rd, but you guys are looking at lockers.

Corey

kenewagner
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Very true and mine is a street car also, thats why I swapped in a 5spd:p. BUT with a lock up, I think between 3-3500 would have perfectly fine street manners. I think Ryan Zimmerly runs over 3k stall and you cant tell just cuising around. My 2600 non locking you could really tell in 3rd, but you guys are looking at lockers.

Corey

Nope my is a nonlocking TQ converter now and I am concerned about the street manners with a lot of stall. Want the car to be a pleasure to drive not slipping a lot

Ken

David Neibert
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Nope my is a nonlocking TQ converter now and I am concerned about the street manners with a lot of stall. Want the car to be a pleasure to drive not slipping a lot

Ken

Ken,

Suggest about 2800-3000 stall. That's going to be plenty tight for good street manners and cooling, but loose enough to help get it off the line.

David

neverfastenough
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
So you have a non locker now and you plan to switch to lock up? Or are u keeping the non locking style? LIke I said I had 2600 non lock and it did slip a lot in 3rd. Im no converter pro, but a stall isnt as noticable in a lock up because you only notice the extra slip in 1st and 2nd gear. In town speeds are enough to get into 3rd. Just some thoughts, I guess its possible to go too high and not really possible to go too low for a street car, unless you went below stock haha. BTW I dont want to sound like i didnt like my non locker, I enjoyed no bogging in third and the street driving. Also it was a dirty dog and the stall was spot on to my request. Alan does a great job.

fturner
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
This is a group buy thread, and I only repeated myself......

Sorry

Fraser

kenewagner
11-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Back to the converter buy since thats what the thread is for. Anyone else interested in a 9.5" converter? This is a great performance upgrade

Ken

Dirtyd0g
11-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Let us run through the scenarios and give a reason of why to order what stall for your car.
Lets try a few scenarios
3500 stall with direct drive, for example on stock gears.
1st gear will feel great, traction may be an issue. 2nd again awesome.The shift to 3rd will be a terrible bog.
Lets use the same scenario unlocked. It will feel great through all the gears. One huge problem. When the rpms want to drop to about 1800 for cruise it will be right in the range where it heats and heats and ruins your transmission. Swap those gears for 4.10's and the rpms will rise. Problem solved. However you are still wasting the working torque curve of a stock or mildly modified SC motor. You have to look at the peak torque of your engine and your gearing to make a good decision on stall. I don't lay as much importance on stall speed as I do stall to torque ratio. I can get the same stall speed a few different ways. Getting the combination that works right for that machine is the part that requires experience. Most of that experience is learned by trying new things and seeing what works and what doesn't. I suggest everyone give me the information on their car and let me handle the configuration. I specialize in making people happy with their torque converters. My methods are not always what you expect, my results are. Stall speed is a relative figure. True stall can not be found without a transbrake, everything else is just a guess depending on the vehicle.
Alan

fturner
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I'll email the info instead

Fraser

kenewagner
11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Getting the combination that works right for that machine is the part that requires experience. Most of that experience is learned by trying new things and seeing what works and what doesn't. I suggest everyone give me the information on their car and let me handle the configuration. I specialize in making people happy with their torque converters. My methods are not always what you expect, my results are.

I plan to do just that. I will PM you. I dont want to muddle up the thread with all the information on my specs. Would rather more people would see all the benefits of this mod and decide to buy in.

Ken

Kurt K
11-17-2009, 12:51 AM
I won't be buying in this group purchase, but I will say that I've been very happy with the converter that Alan built for me. He will have to post the specs, but I think it's a 9" or smaller converter with somewhere around a 3800 stall.

Dirtyd0g
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Kurts is a 9.5 inch with a 31 spline input. The reason his stall is so high is because his motor runs great. The combination really isn't that loose. It is still able to be street driven.
Alan

Wagonman88
11-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm learning a lot about stalls here... Could we further this conversation with different scenarios (gears, weight, power goals) in a new thread?? I don't want to waste my money on one converter, when I decide to upgrade it, just to have to buy another in a few years when I'm making more power...

Jeremy

kenewagner
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Alan: I think you should start a thread on the Techanical forum discussing the whys, wheres and what fores of a 9.5" TQ converter. You could discuss the weight advantages:D The advantages of higher stall as well as how you pick a working combination based on engine specs. Non locking vs locking. What makes it non locking and locking. I have talked to a lot of club members vie PMs and a lot of people dont understand what an incredable performance mod this is or how to spec a converter for their car. I beleive if people understood the advantages of the TQ converter in relationship to performance that they are looking for, more people might join the converter buy in. Also this thread should remain for buy in information not converter education. It is a great opportunity to educate AOD guys on TQ Converters and maybe you will sell some more converters:D

Ken

Wagonman88
11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
+1 to everything Ken said. I'm used to manual transmissions, this is my first performance automatic and I have no clue where to start :confused:

Jeremy

the-big-e
11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
I know just a little bit about TCs.....

But Alan knows these on a level that I will never achieve....

I would like to see Alan do a post like Ken suggested......

It would definitely point buyers in the right direction.....

I want to pick the correct TC that will maximize my engine performance and I only want to do this once.....

Dirtyd0g
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I think I did a thread like that before on TCCoA. THe pictures shoudl all still be there I will see what I can put together. The huge advantage of the 9.5 inch converter is the front cover. There are many other advantages but the OEM front cover balloon terribly. The billet front cover on these can handle much higher rpms without ballooning. I have yet to see a stock aod converter with very much mileage on it that wasn't ballooned.
Alan

fturner
11-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Any word on this, or has it fizzled out? I just got my hands on a nice built up AOD and I'd like to get it in my car before the cold hits and the car is untouchable for several months.

Fraser

kenewagner
11-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Any word on this, or has it fizzled out? I just got my hands on a nice built up AOD and I'd like to get it in my car before the cold hits and the car is untouchable for several months.

Fraser

I am still in but no list has been posted as to who else.

Ken

Dirtyd0g
11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
This hasn't fizzled out by any means. I figured I would give it a few weeks before compiling a list. Most people won't be wanting a converter until spring. I was shooting to make all of this happen by April so everyone who wants to get in can, If we make 5 on the list I will start with those and continue running it until April. We may already be there.
Currently on the list we have
Fturner
Kenewagner
The Big E
That is just from this forum, I have 3 more people from another forum who are interested but not yet ready, in a week they should be.
I will keep this updated so that we can get the first 5 going.
Alan

fturner
11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
That would be great :)

Fraser

kenewagner
11-29-2009, 10:46 PM
This hasn't fizzled out by any means. I figured I would give it a few weeks before compiling a list. Most people won't be wanting a converter until spring. I was shooting to make all of this happen by April so everyone who wants to get in can, If we make 5 on the list I will start with those and continue running it until April. We may already be there.
Currently on the list we have
Fturner
Kenewagner
The Big E
That is just from this forum, I have 3 more people from another forum who are interested but not yet ready, in a week they should be.
I will keep this updated so that we can get the first 5 going.
Alan

I will have pictures of the old converter to send you tomorrow. If that doesnt help I will send you the converter.

Ken

Flex
12-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Alan,

My brother may want to upgrade his for when his engine is done. If he decides to go ahead, I will give you specs on the motor and what he would like from the converter for a recommendation from you.

Dirtyd0g
12-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I have a local guy in leaving us only one away from doing this.
Alan

fturner
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Would anyone over at clickclick racing be interested in this?

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
You know I posted information over there and nobody has responded at all. I was really surprised. I need to go check it again. I would really like to get this done before the end of the year.
Alan

Flex
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Alan,

How many do you have and how many do you need?

Dirtyd0g
12-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Doing these in groups of 5, currently have 4, need one to get the first 5 going.
Alan

fturner
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Any update on this?

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
No real update, need 2 to do this in a Group fashion now. I think the economy may be officially dead, there hasn't been much going on here.For those needing them in a hurry I am willing to do them for $500 plus shipping.
Alan

lpfan
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
sorry to hijack but i seen alot off ppl sayin they didnt know much i hope this helps http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_converters_performance.htm

Flex
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
No real update, need 2 to do this in a Group fashion now. I think the economy may be officially dead, there hasn't been much going on here.For those needing them in a hurry I am willing to do them for $500 plus shipping.
Alan

Alan,

Price go up due to rising costs?

fturner
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
no, the $500 are for those that can't wait for the 5 to show up to get the lower price. Alan needs 2 more before he'll off that price.

Fraser

Flex
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks Fraser, I gues I miss read that.

Dirtyd0g
01-16-2010, 02:05 PM
What it comes down to is that I negotiated a deal with my parts supplier to get a discount if I bought in bulk. I have to buy at least 10 kits to get the deal. This is the company that makes the spline portions and billet front covers. That stuff is just too expensive to buy 10 kits unless at least half of them are sold. If I bought the 10 I could pass the savings on. At $500 I am absorbing the same amount of cost I would have been if we could do at least 5.
Tax time is coming I am sure we wil be able to make this happen in a coupel months or less. I have this listed on several forums.
Alan