some options

kneedragger25

So I was wondering what would be the easiest and bose the best gain.
Either drop a 5 speed tranny into my 90 auto or swap a 4.6 mustang gt motor or 5.0 gt motor.
I know both involve alot of work but which would show much gains and which motor will bolt upto my stop tranny with out killing it?

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to go faster cheaper then the 4.6/5.0 will do that for you over the 3.8 IMO. If you want a stick then drop in the 5spd. I don't believe you'll have any trouble with the transmission as they handle quite a bit of abuse from the torquey SC V6. What exactly are you intending on doing though?

Pulling a 3.8 sc and putting in a stock 4.6/5.0 is a performance loss. The 4.6 won't bolt up to a SC transmission.

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to swap in a 5.0 or 4.6 in to an SC, then upgrade the motor so you can make say 330rwhp @ 5000 and 410 rwtq @ 3000.

Fraser

my brother just installed the 302ho out of a 92 t-bird sport in his 97 ranger. without any mods to the engine it cost him around $1600. thats a bit much to spend for a stock v8 imo. for $1600 you can get alot of stuff done to your 3.8 to make far more hp imo. thats not counting the tranny since i had one i gave him. i wanted to see the project get done.

swapping in a 302 would be a complete waste of time considering these cars can be purchased with either a 302 or a 4.6 in them from the factory (not factory sc's that is)

i am not trying to discourage you but it would be cheaper to get a car with that motor in it allready. then if you must have the SC look, those parts can be put on the v8 car with relative ease. and that would be a lot cheaper.

but... on the other side since these cars were available with those two motors then all parts should be able to be found at local salvage yards and such. the biggest pain would be to switch the wiring to a 4.6 or 5.0 setup that would most likely require a complete harness from a donor car.

swapping in a 5 speed to your car would be easy and require not many parts but be warned they are getting a bit rare, some of the parts that is.

on a side note... my ideal swap would be a BOSS 302 aluminum block with good aluminum heads and about 10.5 to 1 compression. keep it all aluminum and light. make some where around 400 flywheel horsepower and bolt ot a T56 trans. that would be fun.. then just to make me grim from ear to ear twin turbo that bad boy.

now that would be an interesting motor swap.

Back