whats the strangest thing you found in a tire?

brandywine11297

this tire isnt mine, but it came into the shop where i work.

28ivpds.jpg

the funniest thing is that she drove it in like that.

I ran over a pair of adjustable pliers on the interstate that destroyed a rear tire on my Lincoln LS. It punctured the side wall, then was flung up into the wheel well liner, perforated it and lodged there, much like the adjustable wrench in the photo above. Except for the tire, and a hole in the wheel well liner, no other damage was done. Glad it didn't get into the bodywork.

JD

I was riding with a high school buddy of mine in his dump truck with dual rear wheels....

He saw a box turtle on the edge of the road and decided to see if he could nick it with the front tire and shoot it back into the woods.....:eek:

Anyway, he missed the turtle with the front wheel and ran over it with the rear wheels....:eek::eek:

Don't call for PETA just yet.....:eek::eek::eek:

The poor turtle got wedged between the two rear tires and went for the ride of it's life......:p

We stopped the truck after a few hundred feet, got a tire iron out, pried the critter out, and sent him on his way....:D

I know it doesn't go with something sticking into a tire, but it was stuck between two tires.....:p

Last edited:
I worked at a tire shop when I was in tech school. The strangest thing I found in a tire was a rock, conditions aligned perfectly for a piece of gravel to puncture one.
Makes ya think when you drive down a gravel road.
Alan

This upset me, I was driving home after dropping off a girl late night in high school, I wanted to get home and sleep, was driving my parents 2003 grand caravan at the time. I felt my van just instantly start pulling straight towards the ditch so I slammed on the brakes(as conservative as possible) and stopped on the side of the road. Looked and the rear pass. tire was flat as a pancake. I jacked the sucker up and got the tire off to find a piece of sheet metal about 2-3 inches wide, and maybe 5-6 inches long had made a slice about 10 inches long and lodged itself in the tire about halfway deep(on the inner sidewall?????) I wasnt happy changing that at 1:30 a.m. on the side of the road :(

A buddy of mine had a wrench stuck in his tire too the differance was his was on his 68 Chevelle hot rod with 15" Mickeys on the back :eek: to say the least he wasnt happy

I was riding with a high school buddy of mine in his dump truck with dual rear wheels....

He saw a box turtle on the edge of the road and decided to see if he could nick it with the front tire and shoot it back into the woods.....:eek:

Anyway, he missed the turtle with the front wheel and ran over it with the rear wheels....:eek::eek:

Don't call for PETA just yet.....:eek::eek::eek:

The poor turtle got wedged between the two rear tires and went for the ride of it's life......:p

We stopped the truck after a few hundred feet, got a tire iron out, pried the critter out, and sent him on his way....:D

I know it doesn't go with something sticking into a tire, but it was stuck between two tires.....:p

That's crazy lol.

I used to work at discount tire, and for a couple of months I did almost nothing but flat repairs. In those couple months I found a file for shaping chain saws, half a pair of adjustable pliers, a small chunk of glass, and the most surprising was a chunk of a big plastic comb. The funniest one that ever drove in was a Cavelier that the owner could not get the wheel lock off so they drove the car 4 miles to the store with a flat, and the best part was they never put the other lugs back on. So the wheel was only being held on by the lock. Then they were pissed at us because we couldn' fix the trashed tire after the four mile run flat at 30+ mph. Dealing with the public is great.

I was in my 91 big Bronco on 35s playing in the mud. Went to cross a mud hole and about halfway across I hit something. Turned out to be a truck frame with bumpers still attached. Caught the corner of the bumper and put a huge gash in the tread. I got about 2 miles and added some air. Went another 2 miles to get home. The next day I looked at it and put 4 plugs in it. Still holding 4 years later.

Stuck between 2 tires on my semi a large part of the motorcycle I ran over. Luckly the driver bailed off.:eek:

Thirty-three years ago when I worked in the Auto Center of a local department store in Dayton, Ohio (yes, I know I am old) an irate cutomer came in with a claim that his one-day-old tire had gone flat for no reason while he was driving home on the freeway. He brought the tire in, stll mounted to the rim and demanded we replace it NOW. It looked like the sidwall had split and at seeing that, the manager decided it was a defective tire and we should replace it free of charge. The customer was still ranting and raving about how it had cost him valuable time and how these tires were junk! We couldn't wait to just get him on his way so the other customers wouldn't have to hear his abusive talk.

When I dismounted the tire, inside I found the end of a broken piece of leaf spring that was about 8" long and 3" wide. I told the other mechanics and the manager what I had found and we all laughed because we knew that this guy was SOL. He did not buy Road Hazard protection so he would have to pay for the new tire.

Later the manager told me if the guy had not been such D**k, he would have given him the new tire for free anyway but, as it stood, he relished showing the guy what I found in the tire.

Last year I ran over a large bolt about half inch wide and 2 inches long stuffed directly into my tire somehow. I just heard this thumping as i ran over the head of it every time it went around. Got out and checked it out and couldn't believe it. It still held air like a champ so I thumped over to autozone and got a plug kit, thumped over to the gas station and fixed it and pumped it up. Not a fun way to spend an hour but could have been much worse I guess. At least it wasn't a turtle haha

Well I have seen two wierd things. The first I saw was a large pair of toe nail clippers when helping someone change a tire and the other
my co-worker ran over was a Benchtop 3/8 ratchet wrench. The wrench went through the tread
ratchet first. I never thought something that large and rounded would puncture a tire tread.

we found a crushed coke can in a snow tire. no punctures or anything so the person who put the tires on before us must have done it.

My uncle purchased a Cobra from a police auction and found close to $10K inside the spare tire. the car had 20" rims (including the spare) on it that he HATED, so he got some 18" Cobra R wheels and was selling the 20". Someone wanted them for his explorer or some ford SUV but he didn't want the tires. Took them to his buddies shop , yanked 'em off and found the cash in the spare. Turned it into the police department and like 30 days later they gave it back to him as no one came to claim it.

Back