PDA

View Full Version : The mad detailer strikes again

mcate
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys, Poorboy's came out with a new wax, Natty's Red, & I finally decided to try some. The Mach responded well! It gives a slicker, wetter look than Natty's Blue does. Over the course of a week I clayed the car, then polished with Poorboy's Pro Polish. Then I hit it with Black Hole glaze. Then 2 coats of EX Sealant with Carnauba. Then 5 coats of Natty's Red over 3 days. I wonder how the SC would've looked with Red?

frdlvr30
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Looks great!!!Now lets see some of the 2009 with the new wheels.....

mcate
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanx! Been adding some chrome goodies to the engine with the $$ I've made from selling parts. I'm not going to do anything horsepower-wise while it's under warranty, but it'll get a blower someday. I'm probably going to put Steeda Ultralite springs on it next spring. I also want to put a Bullitt grille in it, but Deb likes those stupid fog lamps.

nickleman60
11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
As usual they look great..........now come down here and detail mine..........:D

mcate
11-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Wonder if there's a market for a traveling detailer?:rolleyes:

Roadhawg
11-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Wonder if there's a market for a traveling detailer?:rolleyes:

You can detail my Mach1 while you are at it....................

mcate
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Didn't you say it's never even been waxed?

Roadhawg
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Didn't you say it's never even been waxed?

That is a true statement, I'm afraid I would do it wrong and mess up the paint.
On a positive note, it is garage kept and kept under a Duststop car cover.

nickleman60
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
It's been about 2 months since my new paint job so now I need to clean and wax it.

frdlvr30
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Mail Order Detailer? Interesting....

mcate
11-19-2009, 08:29 PM
That is a true statement, I'm afraid I would do it wrong and mess up the paint.

You could mess up the paint with a high spd buffer, but not with what I use, which is a Porter Cable 7424 dual orbiting buffer. And claying is easy. The only way to ruin your paint would be if you dropped the clay & picked up some sediment. 1st rule of thumb with clay is to throw it away if you drop it. I'm always happy to give whatever pointers you guys want.

mcate
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
It's been about 2 months since my new paint job so now I need to clean and wax it.

Yeah, it should've completely cured by now. Time for clay. Get the Mothers kit. Best value for the $$.

nickleman60
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah, it should've completely cured by now. Time for clay. Get the Mothers kit. Best value for the $$.

What do you think is the best over the counter wax that I can use that'll give me the best results?

Roadhawg
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
What do you think is the best over the counter wax that I can use that'll give me the best results?

I'm fairly sure Mike forgot what over the counter wax is, with a discription like this; "Over the course of a week I clayed the car, then polished with Poorboy's Pro Polish. Then I hit it with Black Hole glaze. Then 2 coats of EX Sealant with Carnauba. Then 5 coats of Natty's Red over 3 days."

mcate
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm fairly sure Mike forgot what over the counter wax is, with a discription like this; "Over the course of a week I clayed the car, then polished with Poorboy's Pro Polish. Then I hit it with Black Hole glaze. Then 2 coats of EX Sealant with Carnauba. Then 5 coats of Natty's Red over 3 days."

Nah, I just looked & I've still got some over the counter bought stuff that's rotting away on my shelf! Stay away from any polymer-based waxes, ie Meguiers NXT. Polymers may last longer than carnauba, but they just don't shine as well. For OTC stuff I'd probably recommend Meguiers Gold Class. Also 3M makes a "Professional Detailers" series wax that I think I bought at Car Quest. They're both pretty decent. I used them both before switching to Poorboy's. But it's all in the preparation of the paint. Ya gotta clay first! get the Mothers clay kit. I just bought one for $16 at Advance. It comes with 2 65 gram bars & a HUGE microfiber cloth. The Meguiers kit only has 2 50 gram bars & their stupid "cleaner wax", which I throw away.

mcate
11-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Check the prices, though. Natty's Red is only $19.99 here:

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-nattys-red-wax.html

nickleman60
11-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Check the prices, though. Natty's Red is only $19.99 here:

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-nattys-red-wax.html

Alright............I bought it................now lets see if I can turn into "Master Detailer" MIke Cate...........:D

How do you think it'll shine with just applying and removing it by hand?

mcate
11-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I always apply/remove wax by hand. It's polishing where you need higher speed. Since your paint is new I wouldn't think it needs polishing. You will need to pick up a pack of microfiber wax applicator pads, & some microfiber cloths for removal. Did you get a clay bar kit yet?

nickleman60
11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I always apply/remove wax by hand. It's polishing where you need higher speed. Since your paint is new I wouldn't think it needs polishing. You will need to pick up a pack of microfiber wax applicator pads, & some microfiber cloths for removal. Did you get a clay bar kit yet?

I have a couple of never opened clay bars in the garage plus a bunch of new microfiber cloths.

mcate
11-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Try not to clay it in direct sunlight if possible. Do one panel at a time, & keep the surface well lubricated either with quick detailer or water. Rub the clay back & forth until it doesn't snag or pull, then dry it off.
Natty's can be applied in direct sunlight, as can all Poorboy's products, but I wouldn't do it. I never detail in sunlight, especially not a black car.

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm off from work now until the 30th so hopefully the weather will be decent and I can get started on installing my new gauges, especially the Innovate AFR wideband o2 sensor/gauge. I was going to take off the headers and have my buddy at work weld a bung into each one but now I'm just going to take it up to the muffler shop around the corner and have them weld them in. The only gauge I'll have to wait to install is the inlet air temperature gauge, I'm plumming it into the return plenum after the nitrous nozzle so I can get readings with and without the nitrous. I'll do that when my new "monster" cam arrives, .588/.600 lift, and I can get Dave over here to install it. Once all of that is done then I'll tackle fitting/installing the new cowl hood and getting it painted. I'm almost forgot about getting the Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft shortened and installed. I have a couple more ideas that are just in the "thinking stage" right now.

I'm trying to stay within 1 second of that damn "Superstang " in Chesapeake, but I'm finding it's quite hard to keep up with the mad scientist with the name Roadhawg....................:rolleyes:

mcate
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I gave up on all that. Too much $$. Now I just try to outshine everybody!

mcate
11-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's everything so far; CAI & tune, shorty headers & mufflers & 4.10 gears, all from Ford Racing. Mustang Racing Technologies hood lift strut kit, Ford Racing chrome valve covers, Stack Racing chrome p/s, brake, window washer, radiator & oil caps, & dipstick handle. Chrome shock tower & nut caps. I also put the "Powered By Ford" shroud on the intake. It's a factory part, but didn't come on the car. There are a few more dress up items on my Xmas list, but I just mainly plan on driving it & showing it. That is until the warranty runs out....

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 11:45 AM
You and your chrome................................:rolleyes:

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I gave up on all that. Too much $$. Now I just try to outshine everybody!

I'll give up once I'm in the 11's..........low low 11's..........:D

mcate
11-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I'll give up once I'm in the 11's..........low low 11's..........:D

Then Todd will install a James Bond jet-pak on the Superstang & run 9's.....

mcate
11-21-2009, 01:50 PM
You and your chrome................................:rolleyes:

The fuse box is most likely getting this:

frdlvr30
11-21-2009, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=nickleman60;852776]I'm off from work now until the 30th so hopefully the weather will be decent and I can get started on installing my new gauges, especially the Innovate AFR wideband o2 sensor/gauge. I was going to take off the headers and have my buddy at work weld a bung into each one but now I'm just going to take it up to the muffler shop around the corner and have them weld them in. The only gauge I'll have to wait to install is the inlet air temperature gauge, I'm plumming it into the return plenum after the nitrous nozzle so I can get readings with and without the nitrous. I'll do that when my new "monster" cam arrives, .588/.600 lift, and I can get Dave over here to install it. Once all of that is done then I'll tackle fitting/installing the new cowl hood and getting it painted. I'm almost forgot about getting the Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft shortened and installed. I have a couple more ideas that are just in the "thinking stage" right now.

I'm trying to stay within 1 second of that damn "Superstang " in Chesapeake, but I'm finding it's quite hard to keep up with the mad scientist with the name Roadhawg....................:rolleyes:[/QUOT
Wow, I didnt realize this much was going on....Why dont you order a NEW set of Ring and Pinion gears as well....Thats why its raising hell. Those gears I installed were used and missing teeth edges...Do you remember what rpm you were going through the traps at? And you may as well forget that Superstang. He is running Mid 11's and not even breathing hard yet...When he drives the effing thing. Never seen a guy take a car to the track, run it once and be like ok im done. Especially after trailering it cross country...Yes, I wanted to smack him. But refrained due to the little guys being the ones with the biggest guns...

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you remember what rpm you were going through the traps at? And you may as well forget that Superstang. He is running Mid 11's and not even breathing hard yet....

No, I never thought to look at the tach, I was looking at the track..........:eek:

If I can get to mid to low 11's then I'll be satified, just one time I want to get kicked off the track for running too fast..............:D

Roadhawg
11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Never seen a guy take a car to the track, run it once and be like ok im done. Especially after trailering it cross country...Yes, I wanted to smack him. But refrained due to the little guys being the ones with the biggest guns...

I guess I was happy with the first run of a 11.94, which was silly because later on I ran a 11.61@118mph. I can tell you what rpm I went through the traps at 5800rpm to be exact. The reason I know this, is my car hit the rev limiter (5800rpm) 50ft before the traps and fell on it's face. Seems my ca has a bit more left in it.

frdlvr30
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
No, I never thought to look at the tach, I was looking at the track..........:eek:

If I can get to mid to low 11's then I'll be satified, just one time I want to get kicked off the track for running too fast..............:D

Oh, thats going to happen. When is the cam coming? My work load will be much slower after the next few weeks...Storm screwed everything up....

frdlvr30
11-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess I was happy with the first run of a 11.94, which was silly because later on I ran a 11.61@118mph. I can tell you what rpm I went through the traps at 5800rpm to be exact. The reason I know this, is my car hit the rev limiter (5800rpm) 50ft before the traps and fell on it's face. Seems my ca has a bit more left in it.
Dude that thing will be in the 10's easily. What you are doing with lightly ported stock valve heads, a small cam, and your tree tactics. There is a lot of room for improvment. Oh, you will be getting a foot in your a$$ to leave the track too...I was there....I saw the raw fuel coming out of the pipes at the finish line. Remember....I asked you what the heck? Is your tranny geared shorter in third than Keith's? It must be? But they are all 1 to 1 in third....So, what gives?
Or are your tires shorter?

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Is your tranny geared shorter in third than Keith's? It must be? But they are all 1 to 1 in third....So, what gives?

As far as I know we have identical transmissions and the same rear gears, 3.73's. I think Todds M/T drag radials are 26" tall where as my M&H DOT street slicks are 28".

Roadhawg
11-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Dude that thing will be in the 10's easily. What you are doing with lightly ported stock valve heads, a small cam, and your tree tactics. There is a lot of room for improvment. Oh, you will be getting a foot in your a$$ to leave the track too...I was there....I saw the raw fuel coming out of the pipes at the finish line. Remember....I asked you what the heck? Is your tranny geared shorter in third than Keith's? It must be? But they are all 1 to 1 in third....So, what gives?

I'm fairly sure 3rd gear (1:1)5800rpms with 26" tires and 3.73 gears comes out fairly close to 118mph.

Roadhawg
11-21-2009, 04:22 PM
As far as I know we have identical transmissions and the same rear gears, 3.73's. I think Todds M/T drag radials are 26" tall where as my M&H DOT street slicks are 28".

Your rpm through the traps should of been around 5272rpm.

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 06:30 PM

Sounds like I have some left on the table with that rpm speed.........hmmmmmmm.........4.10's?

Roadhawg
11-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Sounds like I have some left on the table with that rpm speed.........hmmmmmmm.........4.10's?

I'm fairly sure some would recommend 26" tall tires............. lol

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm fairly sure some would recommend 26" tall tires............. lol

I love the ones I have so that ain't happening............;)

Roadhawg
11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I love the ones I have so that ain't happening............;)

I was thinking of switching to 28" tall tires and double D said I should stick with the 26" tall tires and increase my rev limit. :eek:

nickleman60
11-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I was thinking of switching to 28" tall tires and double D said I should stick with the 26" tall tires and increase my rev limit. :eek:

Well, I'm not switching tires, maybe gear ratios, which essentially is the same thing. I'm not going to worry about running 4.10's with my shorter street tires because it's not a DD anyway.

Roadhawg
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Dude that thing will be in the 10's easily. ... your tree tactics. There is a lot of room for improvement.

I went to Hertford today, I was a little bit more aggressive with the tree. I was loading up the torque converter when launching. My best pass was a 7.29 @ 93.3mph with a 1.56 60ft time, but I red lighted. Seems to get out of the hole a tad faster when you load the torque converter. The guy at the tower stopped me when I picked up the slip, I thought I was getting kick out. He wanted to know what I had under the hood which made the Loud Screaming
sound, a turbo charger or supercharger.

btw the thread has been derailed it seems..............

nickleman60
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Todd, I sold the '89 sc block today to your buddy with the fox body Mustang with the MPX. He's going to build a 4.3 motor with parts from super six motorsports.

frdlvr30
11-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I went to Hertford today, I was a little bit more aggressive with the tree. I was loading up the torque converter when launching. My best pass was a 7.29 @ 93.3mph with a 1.56 60ft time, but I red lighted. Seems to get out of the hole a tad faster when you load the torque converter. The guy at the tower stopped me when I picked up the slip, I thought I was getting kick out. He wanted to know what I had under the hood which made the Loud Screaming
sound, a turbo charger or supercharger.

btw the thread has been derailed it seems..............

Ok then Todd, thats a 11.35. Just with different starting technique!! Im telling ya 10's are easily in your future. I really dont think Hertford will kick you out. Look at the way they Tech!! Got a helmet? Yes! Ok...And he writes the number on the car....If you start running 6.9X then yes im sure you will get hassled. You are planning a cage anyway arent you? You said you were thinking about it after you saw how easily if went 11.61.....Did you tell the guy it was a blown six cylinder at the tower?

frdlvr30
11-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Ok there Mad Scientist. What will the rpm be with 4.10 and 28" tires? Or give me the formula....

Roadhawg
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Ok there Mad Scientist. What will the rpm be with 4.10 and 28" tires? Or give me the formula....

I used Keith's best time of 12.216@117.78, 28" tall tires, 3.73gears and 1:1 Trans.

rpm = (mph x final gear ratio x 336) / tire diameter

Roadhawg
11-22-2009, 07:38 PM
With the other numbers the same 12.216@117.78, 28" tall tires, 4.10gears and 1:1 Trans.

5794.776rpm =(117.78 x 4.10 x 336) / 28"

frdlvr30
11-22-2009, 07:45 PM
With the other numbers the same 12.216@117.78, 28" tall tires, 4.10gears and 1:1 Trans.

5794.776rpm =(117.78 x 4.10 x 336) / 28"

So when he gets retuned he needs the rev limit raised to 6k then....Thanks

nickleman60
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
So when he gets retuned he needs the rev limit raised to 6k then....Thanks

Or 6200......................:eek:

Roadhawg
11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
On a side note my daughter made 7 passes today in my wife's Tbird. Her best was a 9.732@73.3mph with a .518 reaction time.

frdlvr30
11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
On a side note my daughter made 7 passes today in my wife's Tbird. Her best was a 9.732@73.3mph with a .518 reaction time.

Thats pretty good for a N/A bird. Does it have PI heads?
It must, to go that fast. I'd expect an N/A 4.6L NPI bird well into the 10's in the 1/8th....Or she is just good....And light!!!

Roadhawg
11-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Thats pretty good for a N/A bird. Does it have PI heads?
It must, to go that fast. I'd expect an N/A 4.6L NPI bird well into the 10's in the 1/8th....Or she is just good....And light!!!

Only thing done to it is 96 Mustang NPI Heads, Steeda Under drive pulleys, Jmod and 3.27 tracloc.

Roadhawg
11-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Dude that thing will be in the 10's easily. There is a lot of room for improvment.

I forgot to mention I have been racing all this time on my Street Tune. I also have a more Aggressive tune available if I wanted to run race fuel.

nickleman60
11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I forgot to mention I have been racing all this time on my Street Tune. I also have a more Aggressive tune available if I wanted to run race fuel.

Well........................................

frdlvr30
11-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Well then, I guess congradulations are in order...You still have no idea what the car will really do. Even after dragging it acroos the country and back....I wonder about you....

XxSlowpokexX
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
From detailing to racing..YOU GUYS@

nickleman60
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
From detailing to racing..YOU GUYS@

Why waste time starting another thread....:rolleyes:

frdlvr30
11-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Why waste time starting another thread....:rolleyes:

Yeah really, there is only four or five of us here...

nickleman60
11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah really, there is only four or five of us here...

And 1 in Indiana who wishes he was still here.....................:rolleyes:

mcate
11-24-2009, 11:57 PM
And 1 in Indiana who wishes he was still here.....................:rolleyes:

I can't argue that!
Snow showers the day after tomorrow......

You guys DID hijack my detailing thread! :D

nickleman60
11-25-2009, 12:05 AM

What are friends for.........:D

The nattys red should be here tomorrow so once we get some nice clear days here I'm going to clay bar and wax the car, cross your fingers...........:eek:

frdlvr30
11-25-2009, 12:06 AM
The nattys red should be here tomorrow so once we get some nice clear days here I'm going to clay bar and wax the car, cross your fingers...........:eek:

And take it to the carwash and use the brush....lol

Roadhawg
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Seems we are back to detailing now.

nickleman60
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Seems we are back to detailing now.

It looks that way, my wax arrived today.....looks good enough to eat, it's strawberry red........:rolleyes:

frdlvr30
11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
It looks that way, my wax arrived today.....looks good enough to eat, it's strawberry red........:rolleyes:

We cant talk about eating...this is a detailing thread. Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys...

Roadhawg
11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
We cant talk about eating...this is a detailing thread. Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys...

Going to help my wife make a couple pies tonight.
I get to detail the cherry pie by making the lattice top for it.

nickleman60
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM

Tomorrow I'll get to detail my plate of food at my nieces house, then sit back and detail the couch with my butt and watch some football. Then I'll be tired from detailing all day.........:rolleyes:

The thread is back on track Mike.........

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

mcate
11-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Have you smelled it yet? Take a whif!

mcate
11-25-2009, 07:12 PM
And take it to the carwash and use the brush....lol

I think I just threw up in my mouth!

Roadhawg
11-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Hmmm ......maybe I should put a good coat of wax on the Black stang it may lower the drag coefficient.

mcate
11-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Hmmm ......maybe I should put a good coat of wax on the Black stang it may lower the drag coefficient.

Clay it first!

nickleman60
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Then maybe you could get into the 10's..........................:eek:

mcate
11-26-2009, 11:07 AM
So have you opened the jar & smelled it yet?

nickleman60
11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
So have you opened the jar & smelled it yet?

it smells like it looks...............After I wax my car I guess I'll have to call it "black strawberry"........:o

Roadhawg
11-26-2009, 12:57 PM
it smells like it looks...............After I wax my car I guess I'll have to call it "black strawberry"........:o

Hmmm ......... I will stick with the smell of race fuel and tire smoke.

95_XR7
12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I can't argue that!
Snow showers the day after tomorrow......

Hey, please don't talk about the snow. It's been snowing here in Korea. And you have to look at it this way...at least you can drive the car you've been buying goodies for. I still haven't driven the SC, and from the looks of it, due to me going to the board in Feb. it'll be a little later before I actually get to go home.

Anyways, I found this thread by accident, and I noticed you were kind of curious on what the SC'd look like with that wax. Well, you'll find out as soon as I'm home. I already bought some. And a whole list of other Poorboy's world stuff, and hell, even some Zaino (leather treatment) so the car is going to smell good inside and out.

And, I've been buying up lots of stuff for the car. I've also been looking at buying another car. Reason being, I'm afraid to drive the SC when I go home. I don't want to put any mileage on it. :o

And you'll be glad to know it's in good hands. The cars been sitting in a carpeted, heated garage since it was picked up by my brothers. The only person that's even sat in the car is my dad, who goes out there once a week to start it, let it get up to temperature, and then takes it on a few laps around to lot.

Also, my apologies for writing a book. Haha. Anyways, if you ever want an update on the status of the car, just send an e-mail my way and I'll let you know.

-Corey

mcate
12-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Will do. I do miss that car. The garage just isn't the same without it! I'm not really able to drive mine much these days. They're pretty much parked for the winter. I did drive the GT around a little last Saturday. I've got the Mach pulled all the way to the front of the garage, & my snowblower is behind it. 1-3" coming tomorrow night, & maybe more Sunday.

95_XR7
12-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Will do. I do miss that car. The garage just isn't the same without it! I'm not really able to drive mine much these days. They're pretty much parked for the winter. I did drive the GT around a little last Saturday. I've got the Mach pulled all the way to the front of the garage, & my snowblower is behind it. 1-3" coming tomorrow night, & maybe more Sunday.

I know what you mean. In a sense I still miss that '94, even though it is sitting in the garage too. But it's not the same ever since it was hit. I don't think I told you, but the '95 may be having a bigger brother soon. lol. I'm stripping the '94 down to nothing but a roller, just to see how much damage there is on the car. Once it's decided that it's worth keeping, it'll be rebuilt. And if it doesn't work out like I want, knowing me, I'll go buy another SC. :rolleyes:

I just want one with a SC'ed 4.6L.

If I remember, I'll get somebody to take pictures of the car in hibernation so you can see it's in good hands.

-Corey