PDA

View Full Version : Where to run RCAs

micah_jones
11-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, I have put in a new head unit and am hooking up an amp and sub in the trunk. I have ran new power wire and all that jazz, and it all works just fine. Now I just need to know how the hell I can get the RCAs to the trunk from the top opening where the cassette player was. Car is a 90 anni, and I have no clue what I need to do, I cant find anywhere they can go. Pics and being very descriptive would be great. Also, the less I have to take apart the better. I already have the plastic and metal cover things under the steering wheel off, and didnt see anything there. Thanks guys.

KMT
11-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Start here and then search...

http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/RadioRelatedPages.htm

bigpoppa822
11-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's how I did it. Tie some electrical tape around one end of the RCA cables and mate it with a stretched out coathanger. Take off the center console (3 screws under armrest and disconnect the firm ride/fog light switches for the top) (2 bolts on bottom of armrest compartment and 2 more by the heater controls for the bottom piece). You may or may not also want to take the dash cover off for this, it just unclips. Be gentle though! Feed the coathanger's bare end down in between the cluster and where the radio goes until it pokes out right around where the ash tray used to be. This could take some time and bending of the coathanger. Pull it through and now your RCAs are through the dash. Tuck them into the carpet next to the shifter but smoothly not to create any bumps in the carpet for a clean install. You then have to slide the coathanger under the carpet that goes behind the center console and to the rear seats. Take out the rear seat bottom (push it in, then up) and run the RCAs through the carpet and under where the seat goes. Voila, RCAs in the trunk. You can also do the complete reverse of this and start in the backseat and work your way forward.

micah_jones
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Here's how I did it. Tie some electrical tape around one end of the RCA cables and mate it with a stretched out coathanger. Take off the center console (3 screws under armrest and disconnect the firm ride/fog light switches for the top) (2 bolts on bottom of armrest compartment and 2 more by the heater controls for the bottom piece). You may or may not also want to take the dash cover off for this, it just unclips. Be gentle though! Feed the coathanger's bare end down in between the cluster and where the radio goes until it pokes out right around where the ash tray used to be. This could take some time and bending of the coathanger. Pull it through and now your RCAs are through the dash. Tuck them into the carpet next to the shifter but smoothly not to create any bumps in the carpet for a clean install. You then have to slide the coathanger under the carpet that goes behind the center console and to the rear seats. Take out the rear seat bottom (push it in, then up) and run the RCAs through the carpet and under where the seat goes. Voila, RCAs in the trunk. You can also do the complete reverse of this and start in the backseat and work your way forward.

I am not having problems running it through the car, just getting it from the back of the head unit to somewhere else in the car, if that makes sense. Basically, from the back of the CD player, where is the first place I should run the RCAs? I cant find any places that dont require tearing the car all the way apart.

neverfastenough
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Its hard but I removed the glove box door and reached up behind. BTW suggest running the rca's on the opposite side of the power wire. Drivers power, passenger side rca, or rca down the middle.

Corey

92sclikenew
11-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I am not having problems running it through the car, just getting it from the back of the head unit to somewhere else in the car, if that makes sense. Basically, from the back of the CD player, where is the first place I should run the RCAs? I cant find any places that dont require tearing the car all the way apart.

some how i managed to get mine to come thru were the gauge cluster is and then i ran it down and then down the center of the car and to the back. it is a pain but it can be done with just the radio out and the vmm/delete plate removed.

micah_jones
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
some how i managed to get mine to come thru were the gauge cluster is and then i ran it down and then down the center of the car and to the back. it is a pain but it can be done with just the radio out and the vmm/delete plate removed.

This is basically what I did. I just messed with it forever and finally got it ran. Thanks guys.

DrFishbone
11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I already have the plastic and metal cover things under the steering wheel off, and didnt see anything there. Thanks guys.

I know you've got it now, but if you've gone this far, just take the instrument cluster surround off as well, and then they're pretty easy to get on track to go beneath the center console. It sounds like you weren't wanting to go through taking all the parts off that I usually do though. I usually end up taking the whole interior apart to install/remove my stereo and switch from car to car. :o:p

neverfastenough
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Its really not a difficult task. It should be a 45min job. Even easier if you buy rca's that have the remote wire connected via the insulation. Audiopipe sells them..

Corey

micah_jones
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Its really not a difficult task. It should be a 45min job. Even easier if you buy rca's that have the remote wire connected via the insulation. Audiopipe sells them..

Corey

Thats what I have, and I got it all wired up. Thanks again.