Resetting odometer

bernie lomax

odometer on my 90 SC is not reading, its just frozen/stuck on the same number...thinking of either pulling the cluster & trying to fix it (??) or swap in another cluster but then I'd need to reset the odometer reading to reflect my original mileage...any hints on which path to take & any tips on resetting the odometer (so it'll work afterward) is much appreciated

odometer on my 90 SC is not reading, its just frozen/stuck on the same number...thinking of either pulling the cluster & trying to fix it (??) or swap in another cluster but then I'd need to reset the odometer reading to reflect my original mileage...any hints on which path to take & any tips on resetting the odometer (so it'll work afterward) is much appreciated

There are several informative posts on this topic, if you care for more detailed information. Basically, what almost always happens, is that a small blue gear loses it's teeth and doesn't turn the odometer and trip meter anymore. It's extremely common for 90-95 odometers..none of my 89 assemblies have failed though! :D (They're made by a different vendor - you can tell if you look closely when installed. If you take them out, it's obvious, since there are different names stamped on them)

To fix: you can buy another gear (around $25 I think) and fix it yourself (a little tedious, but not too bad) or find another speedometer assembly that works. Any 89-95 TBird 0-120mph or 0-145mph speedometer will slide right into the gauge assembly. Of course, then you have an odometer descrepancy....but wouldn't you anyway? ;)

After I bought a 145 mph SC speedo to go in my LX I had to reset the mileage on the new speedo to match the old one. It can be done easily, but it's difficult to explain. I figured it out just by taking the speedo apart and playing with it until I figured it out.

By the way...trying to manually advance the odometer using the knob that's actually easy to reach will work, but very, very, slowly. Like 1 hour for 10 miles slowly.

Mercur, thx for chiming in & giving me hope...if I go the route of opening up the speedo to reset the mileage reading, can I go backwards in the numbers or only forward? any info is appreciated...thx

Mercur, thx for chiming in & giving me hope...if I go the route of opening up the speedo to reset the mileage reading, can I go backwards in the numbers or only forward? any info is appreciated...thx

Bernie,

This article shows you everything you need to know about repairing the odometer and resetting the mileage. New odometer gears can be purchased from Supercoupeperformance.com

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/Instructions/Speedo - Odo Repair Inst..htm

David

There are several informative posts on this topic, if you care for more detailed information. Basically, what almost always happens, is that a small blue gear loses it's teeth and doesn't turn the odometer and trip meter anymore. It's extremely common for 90-95 odometers..none of my 89 assemblies have failed though! :D (They're made by a different vendor - you can tell if you look closely when installed. If you take them out, it's obvious, since there are different names stamped on them)

To fix: you can buy another gear (around $25 I think) and fix it yourself (a little tedious, but not too bad) or find another speedometer assembly that works. Any 89-95 TBird 0-120mph or 0-145mph speedometer will slide right into the gauge assembly. Of course, then you have an odometer descrepancy....but wouldn't you anyway? ;)
You know I never knew that the 89 odometers were from a different vendor. Cant tell you how many times I have looked to make sure they were still turning on my 1989. Did it a few times the other night...As well as my previous 89's!!!

I hooked up a cordless drill to the gear and let it do all the work. :D

Not necessary. The way I did it I was able to manipulate each digit in the speedo so I could move one digit and go forward 100,000 miles as quickly as I could go 1 mile forward.

Not necessary. The way I did it I was able to manipulate each digit in the speedo so I could move one digit and go forward 100,000 miles as quickly as I could go 1 mile forward.

I knew there had to be an easier way, I wasn't all that confident digging that deep into it for fear of breaking something. If I ever do it again I'll have to give that a shot.

Back