Idler Pulley and Belt Install

MichSC

Prob a noob question but i did a search and couldnt find what i needed so:

I have 3 new steel ider pulleys on the way, its running loud and the pulleys have bumps in them, also have 3 new belts on the way.

Any advice on how to change these successfully? The one by the alternator should be easy but the other two are alittle deeper...do i need to release tension on the belts first or just go after the pulleys? If so where are the belt tensioner locations? Also is removing the radiator hose the only thing that needs to be done or do i have to remove the bumber and radiator as well? Thanks for any help.

~94 5-speed

Prob a noob question but i did a search and couldnt find what i needed so:

I have 3 new steel ider pulleys on the way, its running loud and the pulleys have bumps in them, also have 3 new belts on the way.

Any advice on how to change these successfully? The one by the alternator should be easy but the other two are alittle deeper...do i need to release tension on the belts first or just go after the pulleys? If so where are the belt tensioner locations? Also is removing the radiator hose the only thing that needs to be done or do i have to remove the bumber and radiator as well? Thanks for any help.

~94 5-speed

yes the tension needs to be relieved before you can do anything, this is done be placing a socket on the tensioner and removing tension from the belts then remove the belts. the bottom rad hose is the only thing that needs to be removed to replace the first belt. remove and replace all of your tensioner/pulleys. reinstall in reverse action. then enjoy.

If so where are the belt tensioner locations?

The tensioners are what the idler pullies bolt to - use the bolt holding each idler pulley to take tension off the belt and while keeping torque on the tensioner, remove the belt. All three are basically the same thing. You'll be pleased with the newfound quietness. :D

To release belt pressure on tensioners, use an 18mm wrench on the pulley retaining bolt and rotate clockwise. After belt removal, rotate the same bolt counter clockwise to remove the pulley from the tensioner.

David

Use a breaker bar/18mm socket if you have one, the work will me much easier if you are not straining yourself...

So where did you find the metal pulleys??

mine are worn with grooves in them fromt he belts. and need to be replaced.

Thanks for the response guys, the UPS man just dropped the goodies off at my door so i think ill look for the old 18mm socket and give it a go. This is the first of many non-performance/power adding upgrades I have to do to this car to get it back to former glory...the next being plugs and wires which i have read is a real joy to do :rolleyes:

I got mine from Bill at SCP, gave me a pretty good deal with the belts, and they got here the next day so that was nice...now if i could only get the rusted bolts on the tensioners to turn!!!

Last edited:
I got mine from Dave at SCP, gave me a pretty good deal with the belts, and they got here the next day so that was nice...now if i could only get the rusted bolts on the tensioners to turn!!!

680ft lbs impact ftw. almost nothing is impossible when the proper amount of force is applied. assuring that it wont break is impossible. :D

Back