Power window problem!

Boostman23

My drivers side window has taken a turn for the worse. Now I need to know what needs to be done to fix it.

The window will not move but I hear the motor click when I press the button. Before it completely went out, it would go done about 4 inches then make a "burr" sound. I would have to push it down about an inch and then the window would move on its own for about 3 inches, then "burr" then I have to push it about an inch then it will move down all the way.

But like I said now it does not move at all. So is it the motor or is it the regulator, or something completely different?

Thanks for any help!

Gotta go with the previous advice that seems to be my problem. The felt/rubber runners. Mine's acting like a squeegie and bunches down when lowering. When I was messing with it the other day I was doing it so much that after a while it would stop entirely and not go up or down for a few seconds. The battery was getting worn down, or maybe the window motor got hot and cut off? The battery did die though. Pull the runner away from the glass and try it again. Or spray with Windex and try it (as a lubricant) without drying.
Does it do it going up too? That was the clincher for me. Went up fine, because the rubber strip didn't hinder it going in that direction.

Yes it happened both ways.

I think it might be the motor, but am unsure, and after reading the manual it seems that the removal of the motor is a pain in the arse! But so does the regulater as you have to remove rivets and replace them with more.

Any new ideas now?

Removal and installation of a new window motor is a piece of cake. There's only three bolts that hold it on. If I remember right, you can access it by taking out the speaker. I doubt that it's the regulator. I've done mine three times. Buy only a new motor, not remanufactured. The reman's I've tried were no better than the one I was replacing. (Weak..no power).

Also, check the tracks that the rear of the window slides in. They tend to rust and swell causing the window to bind when it slides down.

I dont think it is the tracks as I manually open and close the window now. The glass seems to move up and down smoothly.

Hey Rob. If you're adventurous, you can try taking the case cover off of the window motor, cleaning it out, inserting 3 equivalent sized ground plastic (nylon?) or aluminum pieces to replace the ones which have no doubt crumbled apart, regrease it and try it out.

The parts I'm referring to are originally a hard (whiteish color) plastic rod. Sort of like a thick piece of dowel rod. I don't know where to get the replacement cams, but I'd think a hardware store might have something useful. You could take a piece of PVC, or aluminum, and file it down to fit.
As far as grease, I think they used wheel bearing grease, but for me, I'd use white lithium grease because WBgrease tends to get thicker in the cold and could make the motor overwork.

The window motors are very easy to rebuild. I have had some good luck replaceing the broken plastic rods with metal valve cover caps from tires. You could also try to get some brass plugs for brass fittings from your local auto parts store.

Back