Rear knuckle bolts

fturner

Just wondering if anyone knows what bolts can be used to bolt the rear knuckles onto the aluminum LCA. I didnt' get any bolts when I picked these up at the shootout, and I've seen posted that Ford doesn't sell them anymore :rolleyes:.

Fraser

Trust me. They work.

zip_ties_large.jpg

Corey

I know where to get some, but they won't be cheap shipped to Canada, probably around $50.

I used a set of bird ones for a while and the nuts backed up on me a couple of times I got a set from Doug and still had the same problem. You must torque these bad boys down real good. but I dont think it matters you do need a washer to separate the knucle and LCA and another set on the bolt so it does not dig into the alum. Doing so will only leave you with a few threads to use on the stock bird bolts. It will be enough but how safe it is a chance you can take if you are brave. Regardless I used the factory bolts on it for a while but I thought it was goint to get fixed with a set of mark bolts. I have not checked it again so i hope my last torquing down did the trick.

Last edited:
I used a set of bird ones for a while and the nuts backed up on me a couple of times I got a set from Doug and still had the same problem. You must torque these bad boys down real good. but I dont think it matters you do need a washer to separate the knucle and LCA and another set on the bolt so it does not dig into the alum. Doing so will only leave you with a few threads to use on the stock bird bolts. It will be enough but how safe it is a chance you can take. Regardless I used the factory bolt for a while but I thought it was goint to get fixed with a set of mark bolts and it did not I have not checked it again so i hope my last torquing down did the trick.

Stock, there is only the one washer between the LCA and Knuckle (as pictured). Washers are not used under either the bolt head or nut.

The torque spec on the bolts is 83-113 Lb-Ft.

From the factory service manual:

CAUTION: The lower control arm bolts must be installed with the Torx® heads facing the rear of the vehicle.

Attachments

• LCAWasher.JPG
    LCAWasher.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
Is there any reason you can't use the bolts from the stock lower arms and face them both towards the rear like you mention about the mark viii bolts? I took a set of the aluminum arms off of a mark viii yesterday and messed up 2 of the torx head bolts so I only have 2.

Last edited:
Is there any reason you can't use the bolts from the stock lower arms and face them both towards the rear like you mention about the mark viii bolts?

The surface area of both the bolt head and nut are less than the Mark VIII bolts. Which I suppose you could make up with washers, but the bolts are ~10mm shorter already.

It's a pretty important bolt, I wouldn't take the chance, but I know others do.

Pics of the Mark VIII bolts HERE.

The Mark bolts have a huge head which act like a washer so if you are using the bird bolts you need to use a washer on it so it spreads out the force on the alum. Same a applies to the nuts. So by the time you add all of the washers you will only have so many threads on the bolt to tighten with. If that causes you concern then go with the mark bolts and nuts. ;)

Once the nut is torqued on with the washers, where abouts is the end of the bolt to the nut? Is it flush, inset or sticking out of the nut?

Fraser

The Mark bolts have a huge head which act like a washer so if you are using the bird bolts you need to use a washer on it so it spreads out the force on the alum. Same a applies to the nuts. So by the time you add all of the washers you will only have so many threads on the bolt to tighten with. If that causes you concern then go with the mark bolts and nuts. ;)

I haven't checked yet but do both stock and mark viii bolts have the same diameter and thread count? If so could you use the stock bolts and mark viii nuts? The mark viii bolt heads just go up against the control arm mounts but the nuts make contact with the knuckle bushing.

If not I'll have to wait for another mark viii to hit the boneyard.............:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Once the nut is torqued on with the washers, where abouts is the end of the bolt to the nut? Is it flush, inset or sticking out of the nut?

Fraser

I dont remember anymore sorry.....

I did not try to mix and match parts so i dont know Mitchel.....

Just wondering if anyone knows what bolts can be used to bolt the rear knuckles onto the aluminum LCA. I didnt' get any bolts when I picked these up at the shootout, and I've seen posted that Ford doesn't sell them anymore :rolleyes:.

Fraser

What did you end up doing? I've now got an extra set of Mark VIII Bolts.

What did you end up doing? I've now got an extra set of Mark VIII Bolts.

I have done anything yet as I have been working on some other parts of the car and waiting on some group buys to go some where.

Pm sent

Fraser

Back