PDA

View Full Version : starting 90 SC

JDC
11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey guys,I'm going to try and make this short and sweet.Had to change out dampers,I had to wait 4-6 weeks for the new one.After I put the new dampers on and the crank positioning sensor.The car would not start.All that I would have would be the dash lights coming on,I could hear the fuel pump,the dome light inside would come on,and the light under the hood would come on.Thought maybe solenoid was bad,got a new one and put it on and put the battery in had battery checked-had load test done-battery is good.Now I have no lights,I don't even get a spark from the battery when I hook up the positive side.I checked the power side of the solenoid I have power there.I have power at the starter,at the alternator,but no power anywhere else.Tried screwdriver test on solenoid the starter turned over but engine does not.I tried to start it in park and neutral-with brake pedal pressed down,still won't start.I checked both fuse boxes no power there at either one.Any help greatly appreciated.JDC

Flip
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
JD,
Bet it might be the Ignition switch. I have not changed one out but others have.

Use the Search function for Ignition switch and look at the post.

Here is a sample.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110221&highlight=Ignition+switch

Flip

SuperChicken89
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
JD,
Bet it might be the Ignition switch.
Flip

I agree with Flip. It sounds like it could very well be the ignition switch. They have a habit of coming apart. As a matter of fact, Ford issued a recall years ago for faulty ignition switches.

Bryan

kamakazie_1
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Agreed here also, ignition swtich would most likely be the culpruit there.. Both my Anny and my 90 5spd I had several years ago had the same kind of results..

Also the main fuse box out on the fender I had a couple fried wires on it, take it off and turn it over and check the power into the main distribution box, make sure the wires aren't burn off..

RJ

JDC
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey guys thanks for the come back ,well I took off the ignition swtich.When I took out my ignition swtich I took it to Auto Zone.I got another one put and now the key switch(cylinder)won't turn now.What did I do wrong,and what do I do???????Help please,Thanks JDc

kamakazie_1
11-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Sounds like you didn't get it put all the way in properly. I got my last one from Autozone and it worked fine. go thru the process of removing it again, don't trun the key in the cylinder once you get it out.. It is an auto or 5spd?

RJ

JDC
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
It's an auto.JDC

JDC
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,well I've replaced the selinoid,the ignition switch,oh and by the way I got my key out of the ignition.Before I did this I crossed the posts on old selinoid and the light came on under hood,the starter turned over,and the engine turned over.Now with the new selinoid:that I haven't crossed posts, and with turning the ignition on I get nothing:no l dome light,no brake lights,no hood light,no dash lights-nothin.I have power at starter w/o key on,power at starter w/key on,power at the alternator.No power at both fuse boxes.Thanks again for all your help,JDC

JDC
11-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,I'm not sure were the fuse link is??I've been shown were it might be I've tested that wire before and after-suppose link,and I have power on both ends(located on solinoid power on fender well by heavy duty fuses,how do you remove those fuses??)I have no lights anywhere on car,no power to eithere fuse box or ignition switch.I have power at starter and alternator.Hope someone can help,Stunk in limbo.Thanks again for all the help,JDC

kamakazie_1
11-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry bud, been busy all day with Grandkids...

Let me think on this and I'll get back on here in the morning with an answer, to late to ponder and the Bed is calling my name..

RJ

JDC
11-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey guys I think I found the fuse link. I have a yellow wire coming out of the fuse link that looks as if it is going to the fuse box inside the car. Well I looked inside the car at the fuse box and found a yellow wire, tried my test light and it was a no go [it didn't light up].Can anybody tell me witch wire is hot at the fuse box inside the car and the fuse box thats at the battery?I can't seem to find a hot wire to nether fuse box .Thanks JDC

ricardoa1
11-27-2009, 01:49 PM
You probably blew the main FUSE of the car you should be able to follow the positive batt cable and find it. I crossed wires and I blew mine.

JDC
11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey guys I've checked the fusible link and it is hot at both ends. I can't seem to find a hot to the fuse box next to the solenoid so I think thats where my problem is.Like I said I have power at the starter and at the alternator but thats it.No power at the ingition switch or the fuse box insde the car.I do'nt know how to find any infro on this web site about this can someone show me the way? Thanks JDC