Radiator Fan Motor

sts70004

So my radiator fan motor started smoking today... Is the motor the same one as the one on the non-supercharged thunderbirds and cougars? I can't shell out $130 for a new one right now...

So my radiator fan motor started smoking today... Is the motor the same one as the one on the non-supercharged thunderbirds and cougars? I can't shell out $130 for a new one right now...

It might work, you are just buying the motor and not the whole assembly right? What year is this going in?

If price is an issue, put a WTB post and I guarantee that someone has it sitting on the work bench in the garage........ ask me how I know......

Justin

Last edited:
It might work, you are just buying the motor and not the whole assembly right? What year is this going in?

If price is an issue, put a WTB post and I guarantee that someone has it sitting on the work bench in the garage........ ask me how I know......

Justin

Thanks, someone is able to hook me up with one.

I believe the NA V6 non-SC version is only a 1 speed fan.

Yeah I looked into it and you're right. BTW I think these things can be rebuilt, at least mine can. I took it apart and the reason it failed was the front bearing or bushing was torn up so the rotor just sorta wobbled around.

So I can get a radiator motor at the local Pull-a-Part for $10. From what I understand I probably won't find a compatible 2 speed motor. I did read about the Spal fan which is a one speed that is used on the thunderbird. I don't know what Spal means anyway, but how would one go about using a 1 speed motor? Just wire both hot leads from the SuperCoupe to the hot lead on the new fan?

This summer my low speed fan windings went kapoot on my 1990 so I picked up a mid 90's Taurus fan and fan blade assembly from a junkyard - $10. The fan is a low/high two speed (just like ours) and I hear that the 9 "S" shaped blades flow better than our stockers. The connections on the harness matched up perfect. I didn't use the Taurus shroud, I swapped over the fan and motor to my stock shroud and it has been working fine for 6 months.

- I think the fan has to come from a Taurus with the 3.8l.

Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I am worng.

Good luck!

Coz

Back