Check Gage Light Coming On

Belisarius

The shop installed a new motor in my car and I have since put almost 500 miles on it. I'm up to 3/4 throttle runs and at this level of acceleration, the boost is just over 15 lbs. Under heavy acceleration like this the "Check Gauges" light comes on. I'll be going in for a 600 mile oil change but wanted to see what you all have to say. I'll add that none of the gauges are out of range although accelerating this fast I don't really want to be staring at the dash.

David

Whats the oil level?

if you accelerate it may make the oil move away from the level sensor.

just a thought

the best i can say here is look over everything and make sure all sensors, vac lines ext are all hooked up. i would almost think since its happening under boost that maybe your ACT sensor, but i do believe that would pop a code. maybe check your codes, its always possible that the check engine light could be out or have a code without popping a light.

Just to understand is this the Check Gauge Light on the Tach unit or the Check Engine light that is coming on?

Check Engine light will flicker for a ton of reasons...

Check Gauge light is typical for Fuel as mentioned by Big E.

Your O2 sensors clean? That would be my first guess.

-Tim

check gage he wrote it 3 times in the first post

anyway... like mentioned i'd think either fuel or oil

If its your oil gauge then its your oil sending unit sensor going bad on you, before you freak out replace it and review the results.

Jerry

Last edited:
no need to replace it if you suspect that to be the culprit eliminate it by taking the wire off the sensor and grounding it

no need to replace it if you suspect that to be the culprit eliminate it by taking the wire off the sensor and grounding it

I think that's a bad idea...what if the sensor finishes it's failure by springing a leak!? (which would be undetectable without a gauge, unless you happen to notice the oil mess somehow) Although the oil pressure sensor is just a switch, it's better than nothing. Do test by grounding the wire though. :)

Perhaps the plug on the sensor isn't making good contact. Could happen especially since it's been removed & reinstalled recently.

Thanks for all the input. I'll be taking the car in for the 600 mile oil change probably by Friday. Oh, and it was just over 10 lbs boost not 15. The check gauge light coming on doesn't make sense as all the gauges are well within range.

On a side note, when I changed pumpkins from my 2.57 to a Lincoln 3.08 I didn't change the speedometer gear in the transmission. I have a 5 speed and I'm wondering if the right speedo gear even exists as the Lincolns didn't come with manual transmissions.

David

Back