Well, it broke....

jimmy303

Sunday......my harmonic balancer tried to leave me....

Apparently, the crank bolt had snapped, and the HB/pulley assembly broke off at the collar that passes through the front main seal. Has anyone had any luck with removing the remainder of the bolt and HB without pulling the motor? Any tips on procedure? Obviously, care is an issue...

I should probably use the 'search' first....:eek:

I found most of the info I need.... Looks like pulling the front cover is my solution....

Pulling the front cover is the easiest way for removing the remainder HB ring.....

However, it can be kind of labor intensive......

If you have the tools, you can use the drill, screw, pry method that has worked for some people.....

If you do remove the timing cover, be sure to change the oil before start up....

Pulling the front cover is the easiest way for removing the remainder HB ring.....

However, it can be kind of labor intensive......

If you have the tools, you can use the drill, screw, pry method that has worked for some people.....

If you do remove the timing cover, be sure to change the oil before start up....

Also, I have read here somewhere that the crankshaft needs to be mic ed for straightness, that they sometimes get bent in this situation...

paul

Back