Snow mo beels... help to pick 1

WiscoAndy

don't know much about em but am gonna get one so if you can recommend a machine that's reliable and low maintainence I'd appreciate it. My price range is about $3-4K so it'll be used, probably about 1998 or 1999 model year.

thanks
Andy
antekmtg@inwave.com

At least a 600....

Hey Bro...I snowmobile alot, have since I was a kid...I would say that we are past who has the best sled, since they have all come so far...THey are all pretty damn good, and none of them are really low maint...So I would say stay at or around 600cc at least...And I think in the years that you mentioned...Polaris RMK 700 would be a good choice, also the SkiDoo Summits are a damn nice machine...I have the Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 and like it pretty well, it has treated me right for a long time with minimal maint. but I ride the sh!t out of it I don't beat the SH!t out of it...Anyway, all of these sleds are pretty damn good ones, I personally would stay away from the Yamaha in those years, but then again, you could have good luck with them as well...I think that they have a great machine today, but back then I think they were a bit behind...

Cheers

I like the polaris machines myself. I don't think you can go too wrong there.

John

Yamaha, Polaris, and Skidoo are the ones to look at.
Sorry to say but Arctic cat has the WORST fit and finish (It like they just slap them together to get them out the door, and they feel like there cheap) though they do have good handling and Awesome power plants. Skidoo and Yamaha are BOTH very well built and EXTREMELY reliable sleds, just jump on them and ride. Polaris has come along way in reliablity but there still not quite up there with Skidoo and Yamaha but slightly better than arctic cat. If you want a great trail sled/ditch banger look no further than a Skidoo MXZ600, Polaris XC500/600sp, or Yamaha SX600R (my sled). If you have the need for speed the Yamaha SRX700 will get you there in a hurry, along with Arctic Cat thundercat and the Polaris XCR800.

Terrain....

The sleds that the RancherV6LEE mentioned are not really MOUNTAIN sleds, the RMK's Summit, Mountain Cats are more for the steep hill climbing, and DEEP powder...The others are pretty much worthless in the trees since the ski stance is WAY too wide to thread through the trees, and to tip and manouver the sled up steep climbs...

As far as Arctic Cat putting out a sorry machine, I would find that pretty comical, and for anyone into sleds to see for themselves..:rolleyes:

Somehow with all that poor quality and shawdy work they have found a way to win in their racing programs...Anyone seen yamaha in that mix anywhere???

BTW, I am buying the new Yamaha RX1 Mountain sled that uses the Yamaha R1 powerplant, if you want a real hill climber this is one of the sleds out there today...No 2-stroke oil to mess with, and they can't kick me out of the mountains for emissions...LOL

Cheers

I noticed he was in Wisconsin so I recommended to him some good trail sleds as there is no mountains. I've riden in notheren Wisconsin and the UP and they have some kick ass trails. I'm from Northern Minnesota (land of NO snow the last few winters). Our local snowmobile club used to be 50% Arctic cat sleds in the late 80's early 90's and MOST of them switched to Skidoo or Yamaha since then due to Reliablity problems (engine mostly) but they have come a long way since then and there power plans are pretty good and VERY powerful now (arctic cat) in recent years. I switched from Polaris to Yamaha in 94' and never looked back. I envy you with you awesome mountains to rid on, I hope I have the chance to ride the mountains sometime!

Trail vs Mountain....

I like the mountain riding, although it is fun rippin' on a trail as well...Its all good...I will get some pics up of the riding this winter..We should see enough snow by early december...Fingers crossed for a misserable cold azz winter...Hope you guy towards the east get your fair share this winter...

Sounds like you may need to load them up and go to Wyoming or Montana boys...Regardless have fun...

Cheers

YAMAHA!

ok actually they are all good but Yamaha has the best suspension and the best ride of all....depends on how you ride i guess, most of my friends here in the mountains of North Idaho Ride Summits, and for strictly hill climbing they can't be beat, but overall my '98 Yamaha SRX Mountain kicks their butts!....a little heavier but much better on the trail (and lets face it you gotta ride the trail to get to the hill climb) and it does damn fine on the hills/powder too. Plus there is NOTHING like the sound of a Yamaha Triple with triple pipes!.....and 140 horsepower in stock form!

Back