quick question about exhaust gaskets

90turbo1

so my felpro kit came with gaskets that have silver on one side and black on other side. they are not marked.

now using my common sense i would put the silver side towards the manifold (cast iron ones) because they hold alot of heat in them.

so am I right.

also the bolts, anyone know the size of them. i cant locate them (they were removed when I got the car.

thanks

chuck em

Those gaskets kinda suk, and they don't really fit the openings and bolt holes very well. And I've personally had a chunk of one blow out, not fun to fix.

Get the metal ones for the mustang, a much better product, and easier to install if the engine is in the car. And get some permatex copper spray for them as well.

I don't have the part number or year handy but I'm sure someone will chime in and help you out there.

Cheers
Bob

If You look at the gasket it has 2 hooks. Those are used so You can put in two bolts into the head and then drop the gasket in place, I did mine with the silver out.

Just did mine, silver side towards manifolds. I dont believe they will the other way around. I know this cause I spent 10 mins trying to wrestle it on backwards before I realized that the bolt holes weren't lining up properly:rolleyes:.

THANKS, I installed them shiny side out and then when I was cleaning up i noticed in my fel pro box that there was a single piece of paper that said. "when installing manifold position the gasket with metal side toward manifold, torque to specified amount"

so i guess thats how it goes.

thanks

Back