Supercharger leaking oil internally??

90turbo1

so when I was cleaning up my supercharger to put back on motor I noticed alot of dark oil (didnt smell of engine oil) in the lower part of the super charger around the inlet opening.

also when I removed the super charger orginally it was sitting in a puddle of clearish fluid (super charger oil) in the valley of the intake manifold. I just assumed that the previous owner over filled or missed when he was filling the unit.

anyway I have noticed that the snout is clean with no strange oil fly back on snout (i have searched but doesnt lead me anywere) so I am assuming again that the front seal is ok. but the snout is sealed to main body with clear silicone???? and there were no seals under the blower top outlet and no seal on the rear where the inlet attaches to it.

ok so what am I missing here. I am assuming that the clear silicone is not good enough for this (should be anerobic sealer like the GM stuff???). so is there a seal that seperates the snout from the blades or why would the oil get inside the blower.

the only other place I have seen oil is in the intercooler but that was a small amount. everything else looks clean of oil.

where do I get parts for this blower.

thanks

I am going to guess the oil in the blower is sucked in from the PCV. As for a puddle under the SC:confused:

ok, so is there anyway that the supercharger oil can get inside the actual case of the supercharger?

i am believing the clear silicone holding the snout to the case is leaking causing the puddle under the super charger. also I plan to put a new seal in the front just for precaution since its apart.

another question.

When removing the snout there is a gear case and all directions say dont disturb that but.... there is clear silicone holding that on also. so if I remove the gear case any steps or precautions i should take when resealing the gear case to the blower case.

ok, so is there anyway that the supercharger oil can get inside the actual case of the supercharger?

another question.

if I remove the gear case any steps or precautions i should take when resealing the gear case to the blower case.

1. Not really. Leaks are only going to be annoying as long as you keep the gearbox filled. All you have to worry about is being able to see the fluid in there when you unscrew the filler plug. If you cant see it circulating around in there when you turn the blower by hand, it likely too low on fluid.

2. Same way as sealing the nose or anything else with oil in it. I used black rtv and torqued all those bolts in a cross pattern to 20-25 foot lb.

The rotor seals can leak but that oil is most likely from the pcv system via the intake tube

As for the SC...Get a new front seal..And it seems someone had it apart already..Its pretty simple puttig it all back together..Nothing tricky

well it just looked clear almost like gun oil for those of us who clean guns

i know what you mean about stink though the gm supercharger fluid stinks very bad.

Anaerobic sealer is probably the best thing to use between the top outlet, the case and rotor plate and snout sealing surfaces. I'm sure other things work, but the anaerobic sealer is what came factory (and what is sometimes included in rebuild kits)

Spinningwheels-SC sells a rebuild kit (see eBay)

Back