coy vs dave

scxr7

Who has built the toughest, most bad ~~~ motor between the two? And who do you think would win in the quarter mile with each using their own motors?

I'm not trying to do this to slander either person/company. just some bench racing online :cool:

Coy has been outta the scene forever. He parted out his SC and sold the shell if I remember correctly.

Who has built the toughest, most bad ~~~ motor between the two? And who do you think would win in the quarter mile with each using their own motors?

I'm not trying to do this to slander either person/company. just some bench racing online :cool:

Slander is used when the defamation of character is spoken. This can be person to person or a person speaking to many people. The term libel is used when referring to the written defamation of someone's character.

From what I can tell, both guys build a good motor. Supporting mods, tuning and the rest of the drivetrain will often dictate which one makes more power or is quicker on the track. BTW, Dave built my new motor and Chris Wise built my old one.

David

Last edited:
oh noes, its the grammar police!

PaperClipFun.jpg

:rolleyes:

-Melon

If there are others with more experience in moving the SC cars forward than Dave Dalke, they do not speak to people in general and are somewhat hidden. Coy Miller certainly has a lot of experience, but I don't know that he has been keeping up with what works and what doesn't on SC blocks since, what 2003?

Personally, I built my own motor, but with assistance from Dave Dalke, and others. The heads, and cam were speced and sourced by Dave based on specific goals I gave him for the motor. I also ordered pistons through him. And any questions I had during dis-assembly or assembly he didn't hesitate to answer. I wouldn't hesitate to work with him on a motor again.

As far as the most powerful SC motor.. I dunno what Coy ever topped out at. A lot of that has to do with the blowers and knowledge available today as well as people willing to spend money to see exactly where the top is of the ford 3.8 SC block is. As far as I can tell, there seems to still be money that can be spent.

Actually, grammar refers to punctuation. The term for word choice is diction.

Actually there are a few ways you can define what the definition of grammar is...But basically it comes down to how sentences are structured be it words, inflections syntax or what have you. Based of course upon laws that govern the particular languague.

For instance. "I be getting me a new car". Can be considered poor grammar and punctuation doesnt always have to be involved.

Now the above sentence can also be considered poor diction. The basic definition of diction has not only to do with the choice of words used to create a sentence but also that it "the sentence" is intelligable to the audience at hand...SOOOOOOO slang can be considered poor grammar yet be good diction....audience dependent.

I did a paper on this back in my college days. Why we even care about it on here is beyond me. Not only am I the typo internet king but I also rarely reread what I type( and sometimes my brain works at a diffeent speed then my fingers..well most times).:D

I did a paper on this back in my college days. Why we even care about it on here is beyond me. Not only am I the typo internet king but I also rarely reread what I type( and sometimes my brain works at a diffeent speed then my fingers..well most times).:D

And then you wonder why people get upset with what you say. :confused: You really should consider that the way things "pop" out of your mouth (fingers) first time around might not get across the exact message that you meant to say.

What this says to people (right or wrong) is that you know what you are thinking, and you feel that what you are thinking is important enough that you need to say it, but that your audience isn't important enough for you to bother making any effort to ensure that what your audience is reading is really what you meant. In other words your thoughts > your audience. Makes people think you are arrogant. :eek:

I pointed those paragraphs at Damon but he just happened to be the one to put himself into the position of a good example. I feel that this is really a rampant problem with internet communication. Many people pay very little attention to what they are typing. I find it very frustrating that a person asking a question can't spend the 15 seconds to re-read their post and make sure that they correct their grammer/diction so that people can understand what they are saying, not to mention make sure that the actual content of the question makes sense, and then expect people who do care about the situation to take their valuable time to answer said questions. Many times I've taken 15 minutes, 1/2 hr, sometimes more, helping people with problems only to find out that I didn't understand the original question or that relevant information was left out.

I think it all comes back to a matter of RESPECT for your audience.

This thread is pointless.

I think Coys work was great at the time. He had all of the right components to make HP, minus one thing at the time, He did not have blower support like we do now and also tuning support like we do now. Add to that his work was expensive. He had an engine dyno and all, but when the engines made it to the user-an S port with 10%OD was not going to feed any of his engines enough to make numbers. Cam selection was in its early stages for our club and what worked and didnt work was in the baby stages. I visited his shop back in the day when I had drems of a coy miller racing engine, His shop looked like your typical machine shop and nothing too special.

Since he no longer makes SC packages then this thread is pointless. :rolleyes:

And then you wonder why people get upset with what you say. :confused: You really should consider that the way things "pop" out of your mouth (fingers) first time around might not get across the exact message that you meant to say.

What this says to people (right or wrong) is that you know what you are thinking, and you feel that what you are thinking is important enough that you need to say it, but that your audience isn't important enough for you to bother making any effort to ensure that what your audience is reading is really what you meant. In other words your thoughts > your audience. Makes people think you are arrogant. :eek:

I pointed those paragraphs at Damon but he just happened to be the one to put himself into the position of a good example. I feel that this is really a rampant problem with internet communication. Many people pay very little attention to what they are typing. I find it very frustrating that a person asking a question can't spend the 15 seconds to re-read their post and make sure that they correct their grammer/diction so that people can understand what they are saying, not to mention make sure that the actual content of the question makes sense, and then expect people who do care about the situation to take their valuable time to answer said questions. Many times I've taken 15 minutes, 1/2 hr, sometimes more, helping people with problems only to find out that I didn't understand the original question or that relevant information was left out.

I think it all comes back to a matter of RESPECT for your audience.

Dave....I agree. Sometimes my fingers get the best of me. I admit it though. But generally speaking if it's something that takes thought, I put the time in and will reread. Many time however I dont even realize I had a typo or if a word got cutoff untill days later. It's more about not realizing then even being lazy...Or Arrogant. If I do catch it later I will generally fix it because even I sometimes dont get how "whatever it was" came out of my fingers. If I devoted a good 30 min straight to the sccoa a day....I'd be allright:rolleyes:

REGARDLESS...In the case of this post everyone seemed to be on the bench to correct someone...So I just threw my two cents in. If anything (by the tone of your post) you should appreciate the fact that I did.

And actually I'm a tad bit confused at what you wrote:eek: But it's not important to clarify as I got the main jist of it:D

What we should really get out of this post is that it was started by someone who is a relative newbie.

If we as a collective wanted to really help him, this was not the way to go about it...bottomline...

Agreed.

Anyway, I can go ahead and answer the first post. Coy has built much more badass motors than I have. The biggest problem with Coy's engine building program is that I don't feel it was marketed well and I wouldn't even say that Coy did anything wrong, just that he did not do many things that he could have done. One of the biggest drawbacks of Coy Miller's entire foray into Supercoupes is that he thought we wouldn't be interested in anything other than M90's. He based his entire engine building program on what could be done with an M90. Had he embraced turbocharging or other forms of forced induction, or perhaps if the club as a whole had embraced those things, we would have advanced much further than we have today.

Coy doesn't charge outrageous prices. Instead he charges fair prices, and industry standard prices and provides products that, overall, represent the best components for their intended use instead of the cheapest components that will "get the job done."

SC people are notorious for being "cheap" and not wanting to pay for the "right parts" for the job while (oddly enough) paying outrageous prices for junk, or parts that "look trick" but don't perform. Even so, Coy has had his problems with some of his motors, and the same can be said for any engine builder, and particularly any one who "dares" to be different and do things that haven't been done before. Coy paid the price for that by promoting some products that ended up not being as good as was initially thought. Anyone who "dares" to even try to be cutting edge is going to get stung by that from time to time.

All in all Coy doesn't have time to deal with the minor market that represents the SC world. He still likes the cars and still has interest in the motors, but I think that some of the things that went on within this club may have left a bit of a bad taste in his mouth although I probably shouldn't presume to speak for him. If you call his shop, he will answer the phone, and if you happen to be serious enough, I'm pretty sure he'd build you a badass motor. But don't waste his time if you don't have the $ to back it up.

Just my .02$.

David

Back