V6 to 04 Cobra Engine Swap parts question...

Mike Manzo

I can't seem to find the old threads regarding the 03/04 Cobra engine swaps, but then again I'm strapped for time right now and was wondering if anyone had some quick answers.

First and foremost, will the solid rubber mounts offered by SupercoupePerformance.com for the Mark VIII work for the SC? I don't see why not, but then again I have burned before.

Second, will the Kooks headers for the Mark VIII work for an SC or are there any clearance issues to be concerned with?

Lastly, with regards to engine management, I've been told that I can get away with just using a Cobra computer for sake of engine management and essentially run the older computer for whatever else might be left over and not have to deal with a wiring nightmare. Obviously I'd need a Cobra cluster, but are there any other pitfalls?

I do hate it when posts are made without searches, but I have to catch a plane and the shop literally ripped the old engine out yesterday and just told me today, so I'm like ~~~?

Thanks in advance.

I can't seem to find the old threads regarding the 03/04 Cobra engine swaps, but then again I'm strapped for time right now and was wondering if anyone had some quick answers.

First and foremost, will the solid rubber mounts offered by SupercoupePerformance.com for the Mark VIII work for the SC? I don't see why not, but then again I have burned before.

Second, will the Kooks headers for the Mark VIII work for an SC or are there any clearance issues to be concerned with?

Lastly, with regards to engine management, I've been told that I can get away with just using a Cobra computer for sake of engine management and essentially run the older computer for whatever else might be left over and not have to deal with a wiring nightmare. Obviously I'd need a Cobra cluster, but are there any other pitfalls?

I do hate it when posts are made without searches, but I have to catch a plane and the shop literally ripped the old engine out yesterday and just told me today, so I'm like ~~~?

Thanks in advance.

If you have time to read and see pictures this is what it takes to put one in a Tbird. It is not like a Mark VIII engine swap. Lots of work to get it to fit.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=89775

You are better off builing a mark VIII short block you could also get a 4.6L from the earlier Crown Vics and build that short block too that way you will have the same bolt pattern to keep the same transmission you might already have.

Last edited:
Just go with the cobra EEC and dump the original. The old one ran the engine and in the case of the 94/95's controlled the transmission.... nothing else.

It would be alot simpler that way than trying to fuss with 2 systems talking to each other.

Fraser

How many people have successfully pulled it off ?? Maybe one.

Start a thread at TCCOA and see how fast it gets closed.

Engine has some clearance issues and the Frame rail needs to be clearanced for the AC or Alternator I believe is an obstruction.

Kooks headers fit.

Motor mounts ? If you use Mark 8 mounts, yes they should work - just make sure your K member is the 93+ style, or they will not bolt up at all.

Computer / EEC .. obviously, you'll need something to control the engine - along with the Manual transmission and a custom driveshaft.

And you say you're short on funds ?? That is probably the most expensive motor swap you could do aside from a custom buildup ..

Your existing transmission would never bolt up to a 4.6 if you had a V6 originally.

- Dan

How about, there's a guy on TCCoA that's completed the swap. Even has a KB sitting on top of it. However, he put a crap load of time into it.

Search terminator swap over there.

-Corey

Back