89 XR7 Hub bearings

MadCow

Can anyone tell me if hub bearings from a different year cougar or ones from a Tbird or taurus work on an 89 XR7?

thanks for replying, I was looking online at the different hub bearings for the differernt years, i need one that supports abs. none of the 91-97 cougar bearings look the same as the 89-90, does the style difference matter? i hope not because there sure is a difference in price.

They should all interchange. The ABS doesn't matter because the sensors are on the rear axles where they go into the diff.

Can anyone tell me if hub bearings from a different year cougar or ones from a Tbird or taurus work on an 89 XR7?

Front or rear?

If front, the bearing usually is only with a hub already pressed on. In the rear it's just a bearing, no hub. The front hub has the ring for the ABS, so they have with abs and without abs listings for that.

89-90 XR7 and SC hubs are different than the 91+ hubs. This tends to make them pretty expensive compared to the 91+ hubs.

From the spindle faq:
The 89-90 hub does not have a machined lip to support the center of the brake rotor. The 91+ hubs have a machined lip to help center the rotor that fits a larger opening on the brake rotor. That means a 89-90 rotor won't fit on a 91+ hub, but a 91+ rotor will fit a 89-90 hub but won't gain the support of that machined lip.

A replacement 89-90 Hub is around $200. A replacement 91+ hub is about $75.

So the story here is you can retain your 89-90 hub if it's in good shape. But when it's time to replace it, move to the 91+ and get some new rotors. And if you're getting new rotors now, get the 91+ rotors. (Any of the upgraded brake rotors should be for a 93+ already)

Hubs

I would like to know if you have made the change to the newer hub assembly? I have a desire to do the same, yesterday I went to the local NAPA and took numerous measurements of the 91 hub. It appears that it will fit the 89/90 spindle, but the depth or thickness is different than the 89/90. Therefore, it is my belief when the rotor is installed, the caliper location might be a problem. That is to say, the caliper will be located farther inboard than if the original was used. I honestly don't know if this would be a problem. I'm sure their are those on here that could answer this definitively. Anyone.....

took numerous measurements of the 91 hub. It appears that it will fit the 89/90 spindle, but the depth or thickness is different than the 89/90. Therefore, it is my belief when the rotor is installed, the caliper location might be a problem.

The caliper is located on rails on the 89-92 cars which causes the caliper to self center itself on the rotor within the travel of the slide pins. Thus as long as the rotor is positioned within the limits of the slide pins, it'll work just fine.

Back