Window Track

sts70004

I have an issue in my car with the window track. It doesn't roll up straight if I don't help it out, and I know that its because the window glass has become "unglued" to its track, but while I had the door apart to investigate, I noticed that the part its glued to is rather loose, possible looser than it should be, like the slide that holds onto the window can twist, like the slides are worn out or something, but then again, I thought maybe its supposed to be like that, since the window angle is always changing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know what you're talking about but never had any problems with several windows I reglued until my last one. It seems to get bound up and I had to loosen the nuts on the clips a little for the window to go all the way up. After doing that though something else isn't right because it skips and clicks part way and needs help up or down. I'll try to look in the shop manual tonight to see if there is an adjustment procedure for anything in there.

Check the window regulator for proper operation....

While the door panel is off, roll the the window up and down while you carefully look at the sliders and guides on the regulator....

Popping and clicking could be a sign of broken or missing teeth on the regulator gear.....

Worn out felt along the outer edges of the window guides can cause the window to stick while you are rolling them up.....

Thanks E, it's the passenger side window and it's cold now so I'm planning on parting it before I really need it working again.

Worn out felt along the outer edges of the window guides can cause the window to stick while you are rolling them up.....

the felt is worn out on the inside pieces on mine. it rolls up fine, but getting it to roll down is a ~~~~. went to LKQ and pick up the inside pieces for both doors (with almost perfect felt) for $5 apiece. found an early model 5-speed sc while i was out there, but the tranny and supercharger was gone (of course).

The felt would be on the sliders that slide around on the inside of the piece that the window glues to right? If so, how would one go about taking that out to replace it?

No, what you described is the window regulator.....

The window is bolted to the regulator and the regulator is attached to the door.....

The felt is on the rubber guide on the door that goes all the way around the outer edge of the window....

With the window down, you can pull the entire piece out....

Be careful not to bend the thin aluminum edging on the guide....:p

I have noted also that the rail and the plastic tabs that are bolted-to it
(the plastic tabs that hold the actual glass),
has to be centered at the glass and the fulcrum lever at the halfway point,
or it binds at one side or the other on its way up or down.
There are 2 sliding nuts inside the rail that move inward and outward acting as a kind of fulcrum support/actuator.
If the glass+rail is not quite at center,
then when the nuts are furthest apart, one side or other can hit the end of the rail and actually bind,
causing all kinds of weird/undesirable movement of the glass.
This maximum width of the two 'fulcrum lever nuts' occurs roughly at halfway up/down position of glass.
Maybe somebody can explain better, I can only show people well in person.

paul

Any pictures of diagrams?

Are there any pictures or diagrams of this that might help? I'm having a hard time picturing all this.

Back