Sad Sad day.

lee1rbc

I have spent the past week redoing my headgaskets. I had the heads decked and pressure tested along with polishing and some light port work. also ported my exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, IC, IC tubes etc. 25 miles since the new headgaskets and been running like new.:D

Until tonight. I was Dropping my daughter off at Youth group and when coming off the exit my check gauges light came on, the rpms started to stumble and when I took the left at the light I could hear a sqeaking and rattling noise. I coasted for four blocks with my hazards on and just shut the car off and rolled the final 300ft into the parking lot. :(

I am sure its a rod bearing. I just left the car there and got a ride home:mad:

I am strapped for cash, and have put over $1,600 in the car in the past 3 months (exhaust mods etc.) and that was my only ride. It was nice owning an SC. I guess I have to figure out if I should sell or part it out. It is a beautiful car, funny, this morning I was thinking about owning this car for long time.

What do You all think part it or sell it. 1992 Thunderbird SC 5 spd 93k orig miles 2nd owner.

92tbird3.jpg
[/IMG]

1992-tbird1.jpg
[/IMG]

92tird13.jpg
[/IMG]

92tird6.jpg
[/IMG]

92tbird7.jpg
[/IMG]

92tbird10-1.jpg
[/IMG]

exhaust2.jpg
[/IMG]

92-SC-int1.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't sell or part out.. it too clean of a car to do eather too.. just put a new motor in it . U will kick ur self in the but if u sell it or part it out..I seen one as clean as ur at pick apart . The people there tore it apart and kill every thing that u could save. The people cut the seat with a nife ..I asked the guys there they said when they got it . It looked like a new car just need a motor it was a shame. So don't do it keep it and keep these car from going on the extinct list lol

I am not going to part it out. This car has never been wrecked and is rust free, plus it would just be sad. But like I said I have put alot of money into this car, I need wheels and I don't have the money for a short block.

I am thinking $1,400 for a nice short block
$500 labor to install.

That would make the car worth $3,600. Thats how I am getting my price of $1,700.

This wouldn't be the first nice car I let get away. When I am doing better money wise I will get a sweet ride.

HERE is a short block for $695.

They are also selling a long block for $1,250 HERE.

These seem like a steal to me.....

Last edited:

Wow, $700 for a short block. Thing is I have no money and just spent $400 to do the heads. I guess I am going to have to sleep on it. I could try to pull together $900 and do the motor swap and then sell the car ($3,000) to get my money back. But I need a car now. Maybe a trade.

I changed the oil twice. First before starting the car after the headgaskets were done and then this morning after driving it for 4 days. When I changed it the first time about a cup of antifreeze came out first. The oil change today looked ok.

Great find Doug.

I would have loved to find something like that when I spun a bearing, also soon after hg failure.

Hate to say it, but you should also budget for a harmonic balancer/pulley. Would be a shame to see that parted out.

Buy a beater temporarily and transfer the insurance.

i wish i found that block about 6months ago when i payed 300 for a used long block. only thing i could find at the time. and all i needed was a short block. owell i guess:rolleyes:

Any money you get for the car you're just going to have to spend on something to drive anyway. You still need a car right?? This car looks to be in great shape. Spend the money and put it back on the road. With a brand new engine she will outlast anything you could pick up for the same cost.

Ira

Any money you get for the car you're just going to have to spend on something to drive anyway. You still need a car right?? This car looks to be in great shape. Spend the money and put it back on the road. With a brand new engine she will outlast anything you could pick up for the same cost.

Ira

I agree with this. You are going to spend more on less if you get something else. The $700 shortblock on Ebay is a steal. Even if you have to borrow the money to do it, I would fix the car, keep it, and pay the person/cc/etc back over time.

I agree with Ira and Dave.....

Funds spent on another car could be used to get your pristine SC back on the road....

You could buy a used car and it takes a dump on you a week after you buy it.....:mad:

Unless you get a Subaru......:p

Hey guys I spoke to Lee 6 or 8 weeks ago, I saw the car in person when he was having the tru-dual exhaust put on it. The car is in real nice shape..

Hey Lee, I hate to see your having problems with it there guy. I haven't seen it up at Church the last few times I went by I was wondering what had happened to you. I didn't save your number that day we talked and the message you left me rolled off after 30 days.

Do you need help to get it home?? I can supply the dually to pull her. Find you a clunker bud and keep the SC if absolutely possible, parts and cash will roll around and you can start fixing her up again. I know someone already posted a link but there in a company on ebay selling crate refurbs and it sounds like they have a bunch of them, don't give up so easy on her, from what I saw she's worth it!!

RJ

I got my SC back on the road with a total rebuild for less than $2000. Would have been less if would have checked before I put the donor block in. I'd say you can do it yourself in a weekend for about $1200 with a long block.

I'd think you mine just be able to get away with rods and bearings and some minor machine work, oh and a set of HGs, could be as low as $800.

Don't know your exact financial situation but borrow the money and with income tax return repay.

Back