No speedo, no odometer, no cruise

Hiram K

I have replaced the vss with a new one, what should I attack next? From my research is the next logical step removing my guage cluster and check the 2 gears? Anyone.....please ?

Check your speedometer sensor on the trans. If that isn't working then those items will not work either.

he said he replaced te vss , vehicle speed sensor. How is the conection at the vss. Also how did the gear look when you replaced it? If its not the sensor or ear it would have to be in the wiring, or the pcm if that controls the speedo and cruise but beyond that I'm not sure.

he said he replaced te vss , vehicle speed sensor. How is the conection at the vss. Also how did the gear look when you replaced it? If its not the sensor or ear it would have to be in the wiring, or the pcm if that controls the speedo and cruise but beyond that I'm not sure.

Yeah. Thats what I get for replying while tired. But that still doesn't stop him from starting there again. Most people replace sensors without actually checking them. If it where me I would make sure that I'm getting voltage to the sensor first. After that I would check the output as well as the speedo drive gear in the trans. If that all checks out make sure there are no breaks in the connection between the vss and the gauge.

VSS is new, gear in perfect condition, machined gear inside tailshaft perfect also. I removed tailshaft housing to verify condition of same. I replaced the original vss because it had been bumped accidently and was broken. I have already checked the condition of the wiring harness at that location and found it to be fine. I have been led to believe that the wiring goes from there to the ecm behind the passenger side kick panel. This I do not know for certain, if someone can verify this to be accurate and true, please tell me. I have no desire to tear the dash apart (cluster) if its not necessary. I live in a remote area of the country and can get very little help with anything pertaining to the SC. This is my second 90 SC, bought the first one brand new and have had to educate myself on practically everything . The replies have been helpful, but I still need more info if possible.

I believe it goes to the EEC first but am not sure. The EEC does monitor vehicle speed I'm just not sure where it falls in place.

Back