help with brake issue please

sianfates

I have an 89 tbird supercoupe and i hadnt driven it for awhile and when i did the brakes feel spongy and dont work very well. i thought my brake pads were bad so i went in to have them changed but they told me my master cyllinder was bad and i would have to order a whole abs unit and its like 2000 dollars. im so confused is there maybe a small fix or something i really dont want to get rid of my car but 2000 is alot help please.

Brakes

First of all, if they used the term "master cylinder" , they probably are not qualified to work on the Teves II system. There are at least 4 or 5 different components that should be looked at before a person proclaims you need a new unit. Check the relay, accumulator ball, motorized pump..... make sure you can hear it running. Search Teves II and you will find an endless amount of info. Best of luck.....

Like Hiram said.....

See if the pump motor will run....

Pump the brake pedal a few times then turn the ignition to run (do not start the engine)....

Listen for the humming of the pump motor....

The pump motor is located just under the black ball thingy :p (accumulator).....

there is a humming noise

k so i turned it on without starting it and there was a humming noise i dont know how to check the other things like the relay or the accumulator ball like Hiram K said

?

i found the entire abs assembly for 175 on ebay in working order would that be a good price if i cant fix it and how hard would it be to swap them
thank you

It depends....

There are the three brake lines from the MC to the calipers (be careful not to round off the fittings) :mad: .....

Pump motor connector, ABS computer connector, fluid level connector, and ground wire (don't drop that little screw that holds the ground wire to the MC) :mad: ......

Remove clip that holds brake pedal to push rod (be careful not to mess up the adjustment of cruise control shut off switch) :mad: .......

There are 4 13 mm bolts that hold the MC to the firewall (the bottom 3 are easy, the one at the very top is the hardest to get to) :rolleyes: ......

After swapping everything out, get two quarts of brake fluid and flush the entire brake system out :D .....

One other thing.....

Before starting on the interior side of the MC, remove the drivers seat :p .......

Last edited:
It depends....

There are the three brake lines from the MC to the calipers (be careful not to round off the fittings) :mad: .....

Pump motor connector, ABS computer connector, fluid level connector, and ground wire (don't drop that little screw that holds the ground wire to the MC) :mad: ......

Remove clip that holds brake pedal to push rod (be careful not to mess up the adjustment of cruise control shut off switch) :mad: .......

There are 4 13 mm bolts that hold the MC to the firewall (the bottom 3 are easy, the one at the very top is the hardest to get to) :rolleyes: ......

After swapping everything out, get two quarts of brake fluid and flush the entire brake system out :D .....

One other thing.....

Before starting on the interior side of the MC, remove the drivers seat :p .......

This is actually harder than it seems, took me about 2 days in the summertime, not winter :(

Make sure you check all the things that the-big-e tells you to. He helped me alot and so did duffy.

In my case, it was the tiny rubber ring inside my proportioning valve...just make sure you go over your whole system before you start buying and replacing things...

Back