cam lope ?

I can tell you it's going to be a 210-220 duration, .493 lift. I know because it's my car!:p Not sure who posted that up there....

The amount of overlap is what causes your "rough idle". You can figure this with this equation: Intake duration + Exhaust duration, divided by 4, - LSA, x 2. The more overlap, the rougher the idle. Lobe seperation angle dictates everything. Lobe speration angle is the measurement angle between the intake lobes max lift and the exhaust lobes max lift. It is measured off of cam degrees, unlike duration which is dictated by crankshaft degrees(Crank spins twice as fast as the cam) The lower the angle, the greater the overlap and the more lope you are going to have. It also plays into performance characteristics. More LSA tends to give more torque, less high rpm power, and less vacuum at idle for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
That cam shouldn't have any lope at all. Sounds like a lean idle condition to me. :p Maybe it was ground on a 110 LSA?

That cam shouldn't have any lope at all. Sounds like a lean idle condition to me. :p Maybe it was ground on a 110 LSA?
Certainly not a lean condition.:p My cam card shows a 112 LSA, but it's a regrind, so I'm not sure if they actually profiled it after it was ground, or just assumed it was 112. :confused: It's been idling the same way for over 5 years.

e561b78d.jpg

I knew I'd get crap for saying that. I'm not sure why yours lopes like that. I've used that cam profile many times and it generally idles almost dead smooth. Just don't want the guy to be disappointed. ;)

I knew I'd get crap for saying that. I'm not sure why yours lopes like that. I've used that cam profile many times and it generally idles almost dead smooth. Just don't want the guy to be disappointed. ;)

It does have a nasty lope for some reason, and like you said, given its specs...it shoudn't sound that aggresive. I knew you were just bustin my b@lls:cool:

Maybe, I've got more lift, just tad bit less duration, same lobe sep as you and you can barely tell its got a cam, mainly because its idling 900 RPM.

The cam in the car now has .520/.520 lift, 218/224 duration, 114 lsa, you can hear a little bit of lope. I hope the new cam brings some extra hp before it brings a bigger lope.......:rolleyes:

Back