Ball Joint Boot

bowez

The cover on my lower ball joint is shot and wondering if is acceptable to just replace the boot or it time to get a whole new ball joint?

If you could find a proper boot, that would be all right. But that is assuming that only the boot is messed up. But I would suggest that you just get a new ball joint, or entire control arm. I mean, you will have to remove the ball joint stud from the knuckle to replace the boot anyway, so why not just replace the joint?

I bet chances are by the time you notice a ball joint boot is torn up, the joint has been contaminated with water and dirt and should probably be replaced anyway.

Unless you're just talking a little tear that had just been inflicted. :eek:

Either way, Steve's right....might as well get it all done, unless you're on a major budget. :)

That's what I thought. Yippie looks like all the cars are going to the alignment shop shortly.

You know, I have heard of people replacing just the ball joint (leaving the control arm in place), but I have never done it. It could be a real pain depending on how frozen the joint is in the arm. If you have the tools, though, you could try it.

You know, I have heard of people replacing just the ball joint (leaving the control arm in place), but I have never done it. It could be a real pain depending on how frozen the joint is in the arm. If you have the tools, though, you could try it.

I was actually going to do that, but decided to just replace the whole arm. I even have the new ball joints somewhere still. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the arms are not much more expensive. Seemed not worth the trouble at the time ... but I am still hoarding the old arms for when I get really motivated and attempt to swap out those ball joints and bushings! :rolleyes:

ENERGY SUSPENSION sells replacement boots. i have them on all the boots on my rx7 they are ok at best. the factory ones have a positive seal at the bottom and when you install the energy suspension ones they just more or less sit on the greasey part. look good for a show car or some car that doesnt get driven alot but i dont beleve they will hold in the grease very well so it may make a mess.

but.... when you look at suspension and everything is red it does look good.

Yeah, the arms are not much more expensive. Seemed not worth the trouble at the time ... but I am still hoarding the old arms for when I get really motivated and attempt to swap out those ball joints and bushings! :rolleyes:

I think I changed just the lower ball on my 5.0; wasn't too bad besides the smashed thumb.

Back