Factory JBL amp questions

Supposedly the late ones are 3.5V~ and early ones are 12V. But I put on a resistor on a 90' system to drop the voltage just in case. The system still turns on for me, try feeding it 12V and if you still get a pop then drop it down.

I've got an aftermarket radio, and the sub amp turns on when the car turns on, but sounds pretty terrible then shuts off after about 2 minutes. I have a circuit that produces a regulated 5v from 12v with a 7805 regulator that I could install, but I guess a voltage divider like you have might work fine, as long as the current is low. Might try with a variable resistor till it starts sounding right. Does that sound like too much voltage to the remote on?

Last edited:
I also have an aftermarket radio and I had a pop when I turned the system on. I was advised to use a step converter for the speakers lines, the factory radio radio feeds the factory amp less v, but I also used the voltage resistor on the amp turn on line. Read up on my install/http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110902
You might need to get one of these, First.
999.11126.600x400.SLC4.jpg

You must be a member since its in the members area.

I've got an aftermarket radio, and the sub amp turns on when the car turns on, but sounds pretty terrible then shuts off after about 2 minutes. I have a circuit that produces a regulated 5v from 12v with a 7805 regulator that I could install, but I guess a voltage divider like you have might work fine, as long as the current is low. Might try with a variable resistor till it starts sounding right. Does that sound like too much voltage to the remote on?

Just a thought, the 7805 is only a 1amp regulator w/ internal overtemp protection, it may not be strong enough to keep the power to the amp... here's a datasheet for the NTE equivalent: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte960.pdf

Oh, btw, hello all! Been lurking for quite some time gathering knowledge & since I'm still learning bout my car, I've never posted before. I just ran across this post & thought it was something I could help with :)

I just bought a 1.5K Ohm resistor on the amp-remote wire. I think you need to try the step converter on the speaker lines and dumb down the voltage going to the speakers, first.

Well I have aftermarket speakers too. They are not great ones, but the old JBL ones were just deteriorated too much. My primary issue is with the Subwoofer amp. It is 12 volts though to turn it on?

Just a thought, the 7805 is only a 1amp regulator w/ internal overtemp protection, it may not be strong enough to keep the power to the amp...

Well I wouldn't be powering the amp, it'd be the signal voltage to turn on the amp, so not much power would be running through it.

If you have aftermarket speakers then toss the factory amps. Use a bypass harness to do this. Then buy a small two channel amp to power the stock JBL enclosure. That will take car of all your problems.
If you have aftermaket speakes they are probably full range speakers and dont need a sub. The factory speakers were component speakers (Mids and highs) the sub took care of the lows.
Mismatching parts will probably give you bad sound.

How do you bypass the amp? I know someone sells a harness, but can I get it in a store around here? Or can I just wire it myself? And also, why can't I just use my stock sub amp? I have RCA outputs on my head unit if that helps.

I just did some reading and I think I'll just not use the factory amps at all, including the sub amp. I'll just leave out the sub until I get a new amp for it.

For general reference circuit 37 Pin 14 Yellow wire on Amp is 12V coming from engine compartment 25A fuse.

Back